Worth switching from IB to Tradestation for the platform?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by 4XIS4U, Jun 7, 2006.

1. hmm, didnt know you could do that, would make it much easier for auto trading, whats this 2 data work around you speak of, why not just trade the actual contract? too many changes to the code every time the contract expires?

#31     Jul 6, 2006
  2. additionally, how do they calculate the continuous contract, always use the front month? at what point do they move?

#32     Jul 6, 2006
  3. AC3

AC3

They use the front month contract and it appears that on the first rollover date thy begion to use the next active contract so from March to June to Sep ...

#33     Jul 6, 2006
  4. wouldnt you then have some disparity if you had an open trade when they roll it over or an open trade at expiry?

#34     Jul 6, 2006
  5. AC3

AC3

Minimal...I haven't had any problem with it in the past ...

#35     Jul 6, 2006
  6. so as of now are you backtesting against the continuous and then using the actual contract to trade?
    when they update ts you will just use the code to trade the continuous?
    when did the last upgrade come out?
    what are your trading timeframes? any issues with ts on a short term trade like other speak about?

#36     Jul 6, 2006
  7. mtwokay

mtwokay

I use both. TS for charting and IB/ButtonTrader for execution. I don't use the TradeStation Matrix but it seems to provide all, if not more, functionality as TWS. The primary reason for not using the Matrix is because TradeStation does not provide a dummy account to practice on before going live. It's too complex to learn using real money.

#37     Jul 6, 2006
  8. doesnt appear anymore difficult than some of the other matrix out there, what makes this one more difficult/complex than any other?

#38     Jul 6, 2006
  9. AC3

AC3

I backtest against the Continuous Contract and use IB via Tradebolt to execute the trades. When the update comes through I'll test it a bit to get a sense of how stable/easy to use it is..... I really enjoy Tradebolt and many of the functions that it has beyond the execution. The last Build came out about 2 weeks ago. My time frames are daily but I have used it for trading 15 min time frames and never had a problem.

#39     Jul 6, 2006
  10. mtwokay

mtwokay

mightymight,

It's a feature rich tool with only tutorials and help files to learn by. I like being able to practice and become familiar with tools before using them live. I'm sure there are others that jump right in but that's not me. If it had just 3 or 4 buttons (buy,sell,close,cancel) then i might.

#40     Jul 6, 2006