Worth keeping a subscription?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by traderjb, Sep 11, 2007.

1. For years I had a subscription to the Wall Street Journal and later it's online edition. This year, as a gift, I received a sub to the Financial Times. It seems like a nice online "paper," used to the journal's format, but still nice.

What got me thinking, though, was given the various news sources online, from Bloomberg to Yahoo Finance, is it even worth keeping the subscriptions? Well, the gift one I would keep, but my WSJ one right now is on a monthly deal.

Should I cancel them? I am a news junkie, but I would hate to be paying for something I can get for free. Do you good folks out there on Elite Trader bother with the FT or WSJ? As someone who position trades, is it even worth it?

2. Retief

Retief

Cancel them. The Wall Street Urinal is garbage.

3. nitro

nitro

I enjoy the paper and have a subscription to both the paper and online version. I have been educated more times than I can remember.

Of course, that is a statement about my level of education, not yours.

nitro

4. RL8093

RL8093

I usually ask myself a few questions:

- is it for recreation or business?

- if it's for business - does it help me make money?

I think this question depends on the individual & their trading style (& what other sources of information they have).

For me personally, the WSJ was useless for helping me make money. When I traded equities, IBD had some value. Now that I focus on indexes & futures, none of them can justify their worth & become a time waste - as I get the same info elsewhere.

R

5. RedDuke

RedDuke

I enjoy reading WSJ. In only trade index futures, but it is good place to get all major financial undetakings under one roof. Some articles are very entertaining. And at $10 a month, it is basically free.

6. cstfx

cstfx

I'm a currency trader and I think that the Financial Times is better for me. WSJ is too company specific whereas FT is more macro related. It really all depends on what you need.

Concerning free online sources, well the old saying holds true, you get what you pay for. Especially Bloomberg, as you only get a fraction of a fraction of Bloomberg news stories than their pay platform.