Worst wall street movie ever?

Discussion in 'Music, Movies and TV' started by jnbadger, Dec 28, 2013.

1. jb3398

jb3398

Margin call was an AWESOME movie. It not suppose to be entertaining since it was based on a true story.

#21     Dec 29, 2013
  2. Well then it failed on that basis (true story). I liked the movie, but the central plot (uncovering the risk hole) was preposterous.

#22     Dec 29, 2013
  3. Agree 100% with the characterization of both. Wall Street 2 was pure crap and Margin Call was disappointing. The weak link is always script. Good actors are out there in droves yet good writing always seems in short supply.

#23     Dec 29, 2013
  4. jb3398

jb3398

Something must be wrong with me because I watched the movie 3 times. You'll probably got a different version :cool:

#24     Dec 29, 2013
  5. Doobs789

Doobs789

Yeah, it was like they just stumbled upon the concept of VaR. I'm sure most bb i-banks have never heard of this enigma.

#25     Dec 29, 2013
  6. You simply need to suspend disbelief during the first half-hour. That the entire firm would have no clue where their sheet is stressed... vol-shift; DVO1>>>armageddon. If legit, they would know their marks to the day. They tried to compensate when Demi Moore (paraphrasing) stated "I warned you last year" which was weak. Then why the super-secret work by Tucci the risk guy, like he was working on the Manhattan project. So dumb. It would have been a simple matter to write a believable plot as it WAS reality. I loved the dialogue that was ancillary, but wtf, start with a PLOT.

But yeah, something is wrong with you. Who knew?

#26     Dec 29, 2013
  7. Great idea!!

#27     Dec 29, 2013
  8. Don't think of being in the movie biz. Because if you think that true stories -- and this one was damn loose about the truth -- are not supposed to entertain than what will you do for an audience? You want only historians to attend? Weak damn movie.

#28     Dec 29, 2013
  9. A couple of guys on here are actively on desks; one of them was the head of a desk that now works on the buy-side. They all liked the movie as it was a character study. In that aspect it wins, but it's a house built on mud with that plot.

#29     Dec 29, 2013
  10. I agree... I was expecting the plot to make sense and it didn't. Liked the characters, though.

#30     Dec 29, 2013