Worst Wall Street Clichés

Discussion in 'Trading' started by schizo, Jun 2, 2010.

1. jem

jem

1. volume leads price.
    2. only paying the spread once with market orders
    3. smaller spreads are good for traders
    4. SEC investigation
    5. Investment Bank
    6. Liquidity providers
    7. dark pools are good
    8. The banks paid back their loans. (as they govt and fed spent 13 trillion.)
    9. HFT (should be HFF High frequency front running.)

#41     Jun 2, 2010
  2. Great post jem. So true (especially #6 and #9)

#42     Jun 2, 2010
  3. mokwit

mokwit

'we were short/We had already told clients our to go short [appears after a crash]

We feel the selling is overdone [appears after a crash]

#43     Jun 2, 2010
  4. Hello

Hello

I pay close attention to upgrades downgrades on a daily basis for a couple of my systems.

The best is when they lower their price estimate at the same time they upgrade the stock from "conviction sell to sell"

Or there was one that got downgraded from neutral to underperform or something like that (forget the stock) and they raised their price target, at the same time, wtf is that supposed to mean.

#44     Jun 2, 2010
  5. rickf

rickf

"It's a 'correction'"

...that drives me absolutely crazy, for it presumes that markets are only supposed to go up as part of normal functioning. After all, you 'correct' a deficiency. Gaaaah!

"We remain neutral ...." / "We have a 'hold' rating"

EVERYBODY has an opinion. Neutral is not an opinion, and 'hold' is the investing action that epitomises 'neutral' analysis.

....and of course, the oft-used cliche: "Analysts from so-and-so Co have a buy/sell/upgrade/downgrade rating..." WHO CARES???? (IMHO the best 'analysis' of the markets comes from people far removed geographically from Wall Street)

#45     Jun 2, 2010
  6. "Whether the market keeps going (higher/lower)...<i>remains to be seen.</i>"

#46     Jun 2, 2010
  7. mokwit

mokwit

We expect the market to trade in a range between [insert two very far away points for high and low here]

#47     Jun 2, 2010
  8. "The stock options traded (5, 10, 20, 25, 50) times normal average trading volume."

#48     Jun 2, 2010
  9. schizo

schizo

BUY THE DIP!
    (How is this any different from "Don't catch a falling knife"?)

By the same token:

It's never too late to buy or sell
    (Always in hindsight, of course.)

#49     Jun 2, 2010
  10. rickf

rickf

"Make Money Regardess of whether stocks go up, down, or nowhere at all...."

#50     Jun 2, 2010