Worst Wall Street Clichés

Discussion in 'Trading' started by schizo, Jun 2, 2010.

1. schizo

schizo

• The market is ALWAYS right. (my ass!)
    • The market looks out into the future by at least 6 months. (hogwash!)
    • Smart money runs the show. (If I recall, more than half of these "smart" morons were welfare recipients last year.)
    • Don't catch a falling knife. (Hey, stupid, the only reason the market stopped falling was because bigger idiots than you came in and caught the damn knife.)

I'm sure the list will grow over time. For the time being, add you own should you wish.

2. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

Irrational exuberance.

(BTW - what would be the opposite of that?)

3. "You can't go broke taking small profits."

(Unless you take big losses while trying to protect those small gains)

4. The market is always right.. If you go against the market you will always lose.. So what does that tell you?

And the smart money does run the show.. You are confusing hedge funds for the smart money.. They are not the smart money..

5. Illum

Illum

When talking about some broke down p.o.s company... "Hey buy this it's like an option, you can only lose a dollar"

No... you lose what you put into the garbage.

6. NoDoji

NoDoji

ACN @ .01 on May 6th :eek:

BTW, notice how the May 6th ES move from 1170-ish to 1060-ish was an anomalous flash crash and we had just better get to the bottom of it and protect the poor investors from that kind of thing, but the ES move from 1170-ish to 1040-ish between 5/13 and 5/25 was a "normal correction".

I also like the phrase "cautiously optimistic". WTF does that mean???

This final phrase isn't so much a Wall Street cliche as a complete mystery to me: "Goldman Sachs Raises XYZ From Conviction Sell To Sell"

Can someone please explain what, if any, action I should take when this occurs?

7. Wait, wait. The best one is the use of the word "volatility" to define a negative period. The market is never in a bear trend, is *volatile*.
    Another one: the market was down due to "technical selling". Please explain this to me.

8. ytr30

ytr30

from CNBC "...market was down today because people took profits..."

9. "sumbody knows sumpin"

10. "bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered."

imo, not true. you have to be a pig when the gettin is good. it could make your year.

#10     Jun 2, 2010