Worst trade

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by innovest_11, Mar 29, 2008.

1. wjk

wjk

One other thought on this issue:

I read that this is not an uncommon issue that some traders have to overcome. Apparently there are traders who do this once in a year, wiping out the whole year. And traders who do it every week.

My goal is overcome it now so as not to deal with it on a yearly
    basis. That would be too much. I'm too old to give up a whole year at a time.

It would seem so simple to just walk away from the computer
    at those times, before putting on the revenge trade, wouldn't it?
    That's the difference between paper trading and the real deal.
    (or the difference betweent pro and amateur)

It will be the biggest victory in my trading history to complete one full month without a crash and burn. I'll post it here when (and if) that happens.

#11     Mar 30, 2008
  2. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I've made a number of terrible trades over the course of my career, none worse though than ENTU which I bought sometime before July 4th 2000 and sold on July 5th 2000. http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/attachment.php?s=&postid=33314

I can remember turning my computer on that morning and seeing the quotes and thinking, nahhh that cant be correct. So I restarted my computer and it still was. I called MBTrading to have them confirm for me if I was fucked or not. I was. I puked three times that morning, but did the right thing as far as the trade went. I actually traded the rest of the day and did ok and learned a valuable lesson on share consentration from the trade that has by now saved me a lot more than the $40,000 I lost that morning.

Brandon

#12     Mar 30, 2008
  3. ammo

ammo

there is always the peter principal, rise to your level of incompetence,i solve that by trading with a small acct,never leave anymore than your comfortable losing in there,i dont care about becoming a gazillionaire,just more money than i need

#13     Mar 30, 2008
  4. wjk

wjk

I think you're on to something, ammo. Next time I get angry at a loss, I'll ask myself:
    "am I going to now rise to the level of my incompetence"?

My next question after that will be:
    "if so, how much will this incompetence cost me"?

I only hope I can rationally ask myself that in my irrational moment!

Think I'll print and tape these two questions to my monitor. Can't hurt.

thx

#14     Mar 30, 2008
  5. pipboy

pipboy

I think you should keep trading. The only way to learn is by making mistakes

#15     Mar 30, 2008
  6. aklishta

aklishta

Let me guess:

You don't go sky dying or bungee jumping.

You don't fuck a different prostitute every day.

You don't snort cocaine.

You don't go to Vegas and bet everything on black.

You don't drive 120mph on the highway.

You don't try to surf tidal waves.

You don't try to tame lions.

But we all have urges to gamble one way or another, to take an insane risks, to seek dangerous adventures, or to self sabotage ourselves right when victory is nearest.

So for a typical trader, after making money very conservatively and consistently for many weeks - one morning puts himself in a position where he's essentially risking weeks and months worth of effort on one dangerous trade. He's not in the position for the money. He's in it for the action, for the feeling of being alive, for having adrenaline and cortisone flowing throughout the body. The bad traders are the ones that get addicted to this "high" and blowout eventually.

You have to watch Al Pacino's speech to a gamblers anonymous meeting in the movie Two For the Money. He says this:

So basically innovest_11, you're a lemon. But don't beat yourself up because everyone is a lemon one way or another. Until a person achieves equanimity of mind, he will constantly fall short of his full potential in everything he does.

#16     Mar 30, 2008
  7. pipboy

pipboy

everyone makes mistakes. just keep trading. you will learn from it. If it this bothers you that much maybe trading is not for you.

#17     Mar 30, 2008
  8. You need to identify if your blow-up days are really psychological in origin, or just the lack of a genuine edge. Many strategies will consistently score small wins yet inevitably lead to large losses taking everything back. If you lose perspective or are semi-discretionary it can feel like it is your fault, yet it is only the natural consequence of your methodology.

#18     Mar 31, 2008
  9. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

Yes mate, know exactly what's going inside your mind, lost all my trading money once, doesn't matter how much, it was a lot to me.

What you have to do is learn from your mistakes, life is about adjusting, only a fool steps twice into same pile of shite. It's an expensive lesson, but you will be OK as long as you stay positive, a correct state of mind is essential.

All the best!

#19     May 22, 2008