Worst trade of all time

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Cutten, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Actually I remember doing an an inflation exercise onthe 24 dollars over the past roughly 400 years, and at 3% inflation rate its a straight ripoff, however, at 5% inflation it was a steal for the indians valuing manhatten into the trillions of dollars.

#11     Jul 1, 2008
  2. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

- Kerviel 's whole trading record was a recipe for disaster : cut winners and let losers run with billions of dollars for 1 year...LOL

- The guy from MF Global that shorted 17000 contracts of wheat in the overnight session and "decided" to cover it at market, provoking a gigantic spike, is just plain funny

- Joe Lewis with BSC

- Niederhoffer selling put index options in 2007 and buying index futures ( as a hedge? )

#12     Jul 2, 2008
  3. Don't make this one !

Spending 16-20 hours a day studying the markets and forgetting
    about family and enjoying life

Did not want to get gushy, but wanted to make a point!

We do trade when we devote our time to something
    and forget about what is important

OK, Carry On

:D :D :D :D :D :D

#13     Jul 2, 2008
  4. I think I'd like to nominate the Bank of England selling it's gold at $244 or so (if that was the exact number).

#14     Jul 2, 2008
  5. How about this one..
    the Petrodollar for the Saudi Scum...

We provide defense for the Saudis and keep their ass in power...they send the money that we use to buy their oil right back to the US which in turn is used to by Treasuries...The money that flowed into Saudi Arabia has been pissed into the wind...

Oil for nothing - chicks for free?

Will be a bad deal for everybody in the end..
    but will be especially bad when the US turns on the ragheads and obliterates them all to steal the oil...

#15     Jul 2, 2008
  6. kinar

kinar

#16     Jul 2, 2008
  7. Risktaker gets it. Also Treasury rates are much higher than BOJ rates. The yield diff alone mitigates the dollar slippage. Besides the dollar didn't weaken to the Yen until the past year. Hell until last summer the dollar was on multi year HIGHS against the Yen.

Not even CLOSE Cutten to being the worst "trade" ever. In fact arguably not even a bad trade. Yet. (When ZB trades 65 in a few years we'll talk:p)

#17     Jul 2, 2008
  8. #18     Jul 2, 2008
  9. On Sept.10, 2001, I had backed up the truck and loaded up on Airline stocks, and OEX calls. To hedge this long position I shorted a basket of defence Contractors. The next morning I eagerly turned on the TV to see how the early Market was shaping up.
    While clicking around the Cadilac Homepage to eyeball the ElDarado I would buy once this trade paid off, I was suddenly distracted to the TV.... "BREAKING NEWS "...

Jack Rennick Schwager out :cool:

ps. BOBABOOWEEEE,,,,,fictonal story, but this would have been a doozy:D

#19     Jul 2, 2008