Worst Trade In NFL History?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AAAintheBeltway, Apr 6, 2009.

1. No, it is abundantly clear that you think your opinion is irrefutable. It is like arguing with a stone. After several attempts, I learned to place the feeble minded such as yourself on ignore.

#51     Apr 12, 2009
  2. Continue responding without the ability to refute my argument.

Are injuries still a main concern of yours when giving up draft picks for one proven player? How many games has Merriman missed due to a positive steroid test and injuries vs. Cutler due to anything? I'll keep asking until you wikipedia the info like you have with all your other weak ass arguments. I mean, that was your prime example to compare this trade to, was it not?

#52     Apr 12, 2009
  3. nitro

nitro

4. You really think that if the Bears had the number one pick, and say Peyton Manning was in the draft, that they would say no because it was too expensive to sign him?

This year there are no for sure picks in the first round at QB, which is why Detroit is considering trading down...

Stafford or Sanchez are not surefire choices, compared to previous number one QB's and other highly ranked QB's coming out of college.

...and Cutler will disappoint...

The new coach in Denver saw something in Cutler he didn't like. He was right.

Can you imagine that happening to the new coach in Indy?

The Bears GM is now trying to rationalize giving away too much for a cry baby Vanderbilt brat...with an aging team and no way to improve but in free agency, which isn't cheap either unless you want other teams rejects.

Those in San Diego watched Bobby Besthard trade away first round picks year after year, and it was a long term disaster...

#54     Apr 12, 2009
  5. When you show some intelligence in the NFL arena, feel free to come back and tell me I'm wrong about Cutler. Are there any "sure picks" at QB in any draft? No, that is why that other incompetent poster on here with the Eli for Rivers trade had no idea what he/she is talking about while trying to compare the Cutler trade to someone who hasn't taken an NFL snap.

Stafford and Sanchez aren't necessarily as highly sought after as "top" picks by NFL analysts, scouts, coaches, etc...No one is "surefire". When you see the "sure picks" like Leaf, Akili Smith, Heath Shuler, Tim Couch and David Klingler, it's a hell of a lot easier to say they suck now than prior to the draft.

That is why when you have the opportunity to get a franchise QB who is 25 years old with proven NFL success, you get that guy.

#55     Apr 13, 2009
  6. nitro

nitro

First, in no way should the fact that I linked to that mean that I agree with the statement. I was just throwing out there for perspective.

I think the answer is someone should do a study, and it is an interesting question to ask. I could give you my opinion (giving up first round picks should be done only in extreme situations), but I simply don't know what I am talking about.

BTW, notice that the Bears are reading Michael Lewis. They got a pretty good tackle on Cutlers "blind side".

http://www.amazon.com/Blind-Side-Ev...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239624937&sr=8-1

#56     Apr 13, 2009
  7. Protecting Cutler has to be a priority now, so the offensive line has to be improved.

Look back over the list of Super Bowl winning QBs. Most of the QBs that won a Super Bowl were home grown, i.e. came from the draft to the team they played on. Yes, there are exceptions, but most came to the teams that won through the draft.

How frequently have we seen a high profile first round QB who played a few years and was then traded to another team, and then lead the new team to victory in the Super Bowl?

Jim Plunkett is probably the only one. Elway never played a down for the Colts, so effectively he was a pure rookie for the Broncos. Curt Warner came from the Arena league so he was a rookie to the NFL, and only got a start when Trent Green went down. Dilfer was not a high profile QB, and he got a ring only because of the great defense of the Ravens, and your Bears defense is now fully on the decline. You had your shot when your defense was great several years ago. McMahon was drafted by Chicago. Doug Williams was a fluke. Steve Young came from the USFL, and he had to sit for years behind Montana.

Look at the list:

Up through Bowl XLII, the winning starting quarterbacks have been:
    Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers - SB I
    Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers - SB II
    Joe Namath, New York Jets - SBIII
    Len Dawson, Kansas City Chiefs - SB IV
    Johnny Unitas, Baltimore Colts - SB V
    Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys - SB VI
    Bob Griese, Miami Dolphins - SB VII
    Bob Griese, Miami Dolphins - SB VIII
    Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB IX
    Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB X
    Ken Stabler, Oakland Raiders - SB XI
    Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys - SB XII
    Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XIII
    Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XIV
    Jim Plunkett, Oakland Raiders - SB XV
    Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XVI
    Joe Theismann, Washington Redskins - SB XVII
    Jim Plunkett, Los Angeles Raiders - SB XVIII
    Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XIX
    Jim McMahon, Chicago Bears - SB XX
    Phil Simms, New York Giants - SB XXI
    Doug Williams, Washington Redskins - SB XXII
    Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIII
    Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIV
    Jeff Hostetler, New York Giants - SB XXV
    Mark Rypien, Washington Redskins - SB XXVI
    Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVII
    Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVIII
    Steve Young, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIX
    Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXX
    Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers - SB XXXI
    John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXII
    John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXIII
    Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams - SB XXXIV
    Trent Dilfer, Baltimore Ravens - SB XXXV
    Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVI
    Brad Johnson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - SB XXXVII
    Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVIII
    Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXIX
    Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XL
    Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts - SB XLI
    Eli Manning, New York Giants - SB XLII
    Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XLIII

#57     Apr 13, 2009

8. good analysis! Your exactly right:cool:

#58     Apr 13, 2009
  9. To summarize the Cutler deal.

Pro: Bears finally get an NFL QB.

Con: They paid a big price.

What will determine if the trade is considered a success or not?

#59     Apr 13, 2009
  10. fhl

fhl

nice list

#60     Apr 13, 2009