Worry when there IS certainty in the crowd? What if NO rate cut at all?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by crgarcia, Sep 15, 2007.

1. I believe the rumours of the rate cut have been initiated by Jim Cramer, and troubled homebuilders. What they both really know about investments?

The market has already discounted (went up) a rate cut.

I'll await the Fed meeting statement, ready to pull the trigger with some put options, if there's no rate cut at all.
    If there is a cut, I'll just click "Cancel". There is no point being bullish when the crowd has already being so.

2. hbiawos

hbiawos

Are you saying the Fed is obliged to cut according to what the FF futures reflect?

3. Exactly!

Finally some common sense. Futures reflect market expectations.

The Fed isn't obliged to follow anybody guidelines, not even the President (at least in theory).

4. No. I'll let my position talk. The Fed will cut 25bp. The 2007 FF contracts will drop at least 7 ticks on the decision.

5. I am open to a wager on the outcome. You're stating no cut. I am awaiting your action.

6. hbiawos

hbiawos

The Fed isn't obliged to follow anybody guidelines, not even the President (at least in theory). [/QUOTE]

That's always been my understanding....

7. hbiawos

hbiawos

Okay. Posted before I saw your reply.

8. DEC will drop at least 7.

9. dhpar

dhpar

that's correct - in theory.

this time it is a bit harder for fed though - you could say that they are obliged to correctly manage market expectations. And despite they wanted to avoid this responsibility (by saying they want more data up until the meeting) they did not manage it well in their speeches.
    despite Lucas theory being influential among economists it is not Fed's philosophy. Fed does want as least surprises as possible.

ther rest of this thread is ridiculous and stupid.