Worm Attack

Discussion in 'Trading' started by candletrader, Jan 25, 2003.

1. I work in quality assurance for internet applications and network security, and I can tell you that most systems out there are being built as quickly and cheaply as possible and are full of bugs and security holes. Its a problem with human nature, nobody cares about security until there is a crisis, then people run around like busy bees for a couple weeks, and then its business as usual.

#51     Jan 27, 2003
  2. impetus

impetus

I was unable to close my IB-account.

------------
    (Be the first to know...in bad English)

#52     Jan 27, 2003
  3. sunnie

sunnie

Unable to access the internet till just now...usually, our cable service is very reliable....

#53     Jan 27, 2003
  4. nitro

nitro

#54     Jan 27, 2003
  5. I'm thinking the "Windows Update" feature should cover other apps besides just Windows, IIS, IE, and media player. Like SQL Server, etc. There are so many patches it is easy to miss one if you don't check the Microsoft website all the time (i.e. if your fulltime job is not as a system admin).

#55     Jan 27, 2003
  6. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

Yes. Sad. Today in the Wall Street jounal there was an article about how Countrywide, Amex, and Microsoft all had system outages. Countrywide in particular is one of the more infamous IT organizations. IMHO they do not treat their people very well are are not very well managed. Its sad really when companies focus on cutting their budgets to the detriment of their strategic systems and business processes.

For a major company like the three mentioned in the WSJ, having this kind of problem is very worrysome: You've got to wonder what other types of management problems are going on in the organizations if they cant get such a simple thing like system security and configuration managed correctly .....

#56     Jan 28, 2003