Worldwide food riots starting 3, 2, 1....

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Pekelo, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

India first:

https://indianexpress.com/article/c...t-for-the-day-covid-19-india-updates-6335558/

" one-third of the respondents said they “are still stuck in destination cities due to the lockdown with little or no access to food, water and money”. While nearly half the migrant labourers were already in their villages, they face different challenges such as no income and accessibility to rations."

One opinion from reddit:

"For developed countries, the lockdowns have some logic--you can build up ICU and ventilator capacity in the next month or two and keep the curve flattened at or below that capacity maybe.

For India, frankly, the best strategy is let it rip w/ herd immunity. They have a younger population than in the West. There is no hope at all of flattening the curve below ICU capacity and in fact any attempt will just prolong the crisis and displace regular emergencies, to say nothing of the fact that they are largely in a subsistence economy for a broad swath of their population."

jys78 and Turveyd like this.
  2. Cuddles

Cuddles

This is what is/will be happening in Brazil and Mexico (herd immunity due to inaction and poor healthcare).

jys78 likes this.
  3. Specterx

Specterx

My vote is on Covid passing mostly unnoticed and unmentioned in developing countries, notwithstanding the panic in rarefied elite bubbles. Abject poverty, appalling squalor, and disease are routine facts of life in India and Africa - something which kills 1 out of 5,000 under-50s it infects just isn't going to leave a mark.

jys78, clacy, Cuddles and 3 others like this.
  4. Turveyd

Turveyd

Herd in the UK aswell, they've made out they've done stuff to save us all, but it was all too late, they knew it wasn't that bad and the plebs will still think the late measures saved us.

And then the plebs will bend over and be thankful for years to come :(

Admissions, declining before lockdowns would of taken effect.

Stopped us going to the beach where it's safe, but still allowed to go to tesco's where it isn't ( If it was a real issue ), madness!

5. Pekelo

Pekelo

Certainly a possibility. If so, India by locking down 1.3 billion people is making things much worse.

6. piezoe

piezoe

Actually Brazil has since ~1996 a quite good national health care system. It is perhaps better than the U.S. system in some regards. Certainly in terms of access it is much better. However they currently have their own version of Trump in Jair Bolsonaro. Still they have an advantage over the U.S. ; Bolsonaro is not mentally ill. I have had personal experience as a patient in Brazil, and I must say I was rather impressed, especially in comparison to the hopelessly inefficient and expensive U.S. version. I wouldn't want to suggest however that they will handle the CoVid challenge any better than the U.S. has. That remains to be seen as the Virus travels to our neighbors in South America.

7. anyone wants to buy a Y2K bunker :)

[​IMG]

8. Pekelo

Pekelo

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...own-if-coronavirus-doesnt-kill-me-hunger-will

India’s shutdown is catastrophic for Muslims driven from their homes by sectarian carnage and now without food or shelter

“From fire burning my home to a camp, I am now being thrown out of a tent because of the coronavirus. I don’t understand. They have told me to leave and go and rent a room but what do I pay the landlord?” said Idrish.

9. Turveyd

Turveyd

Defo hunger, very low odds on C19, the cure is going to kill about 100x's more than the virus, but hey that'd be thinking ahead and that's not allowed in PC world, I'm sure they'll vote or something and that'll make it all okay :(

( mates PC daughter, Support the homeless bla bla bla, how do you support them, ohhh I vote Labour, that it ?? yep not my job to actually help them, FFS )

10. Amun Ra

Amun Ra

U.K.s homeless are spoiled brats. Watch this interview about this homeless guy who complains that people buy him food that he doesn't want. That people are "forcing" food upon him and he's in tears because he wants money instead.

#10     Apr 21, 2020