World's largest web domain registrar - godaddy.com - also pulling out of China

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Kassz007, Mar 25, 2010.

1. These Chinese nationals always come out of the woodwork to support anything that makes China look good and bash everyone else. Sometimes I wonder who they are.

From what I understand, Google was profitable in China and had a minority but sizeable market share.

#11     Mar 25, 2010
  2. Good point. And if true, very smart on their part.

#12     Mar 26, 2010
  3. Why only non compliance with China's laws, but not thailand..turkey, poland,etc

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/18/tec...ina_censorship/

Banned ... by Google
    By David Goldman, staff writerMarch 20, 2010: 6:08 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- In Turkey, it's a crime to defame the country's founder, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk or to ridicule "Turkishness." So Google restricts access to videos that the government of Turkey deems illegal on google.com.tr.

In Germany, France and Poland, it is illegal to publish pro-Nazi material or content that denies the Holocaust. To comply with those countries' laws, Google (GOOG, Fortune 500) does not display links to those sites on its search results pages on the company's German site google.de, French site google.fr or Polish site google.pl.

And in Thailand, denigrating the Thai monarch is against the law, so Google blocks YouTube videos in Thailand that ridicule King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Google controls nearly two-thirds of the world's search results, making it the Internet gateway for most people. As a result of that clout, Google's censorship policies are closely watched.

#13     Mar 26, 2010
  4. I highly doubt putting tariffs on China will hurt those countries. They already do a large number of things to protect their own market.

It is either Free Trade or it is not. If North America and Europe slapped China down, then China will have a huge amount of unrest on their hands from the home front. They need ot keep growing 7% plus just to keep up with the streams of western farm types coming into the eastern cities, seeking work.

#14     Mar 26, 2010
  5. You don't think an escalating trade war would hurt both countries involved?! If the USA slaps tariffs on China for not allowing the Yuan to appreciate, you can gaurentee it isn't going to end there...The Chinese will counter, which will force USA to take additional measures, and on and on. Surely you can see how this would hurt trade between the two countries...

#15     Mar 26, 2010
  6. That is why we need to look back at earlier post:

This is free trade?

US Exports to China (Goods) 69,576.0

China Exports to USA (Goods) 296,402.1

Delta: -226,826.1

#16     Mar 26, 2010
  7. Why are you simply comparing exports to determine if free trade exists? By your logic, any trade relationship where exports are not equal to imports is not fair...

I happen to agree that the China/US trade relationship is not fair, but it has nothing to do with what you've posted.

The only solution is for China to allow currency appreciation, which I suspect they will do over time. Tariffs, like you would like to see implemented, will only hurt the economy - of both China and the USA.

#17     Mar 26, 2010
  8. Quote from Kassz007:

Why are you simply comparing exports to determine if free trade exists?

That was rather obviously not the point

By your logic, any trade relationship where exports are not equal to imports is not fair...

Try using logic other than "you are wrong" in your arguments. Again, that was rather obviously not the point

I happen to agree that the China/US trade relationship is not fair, but it has nothing to do with what you've posted.

Proof? You obviously did not grasp the point.

#18     Mar 27, 2010

9. Good point! I do wonder why the USA does not apply a litmus test to trade with other countries that basically say's this: If you are a Democracy with true seperation of powers and Judicial oversight . Respect for workers rights and enforcement of humane standards for the work enviorment. Respect for the right of workers to form Unions to petition for resolution of grevences.
    Then and only then can we establish a free trade arrangement
    with such country! Otherwise, the US loses greatly and the value of human life is diminished.
    With China we should basically say this: We will trade with you, but your imports into the USA will be subject to increased tarriffs
    because your society does not measure-up to the standards listed above. If your Society undertakes true reform to establish
    essential freedoms such as freedom of speech, then we could negotiate. The tarriffs on Chinese Imports would be proportional to their progress on reform. Just a thought.

Also, I do recall the World United against South Africa for doing basically the same to Blacks as the Chinese are currently doing to the People of Tibet.

#19     Mar 27, 2010
  10. China sell all kinds of stuffs to US while US only sell craps to China.

China needs resources like Unocal and technologies. But US will

not sell useful stuff to China.

Crappy stuff like Hollywood movies which China doesn't need.

China pollutes its environment and provide dirty cheap stuff to US.

Americans use all the cheap plastic stuffs from China. China now is
    is a huge wasteland because of this.

Chinese people are fed up with the evil communist government which carries out this self destruction policy.

#20     Mar 27, 2010