World's cheapest car goes on sale

Discussion in 'Economics' started by BoyBrutus, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Frostie

Frostie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM

Does this type of driving take skill or lack of skill?

In my experience, driving is about being used to your surroundings and understanding how others around you operate(my grandpa still won't drive in a city with street lights, but he is more than comfortable behind the wheel pulling a 50ft cultivator). The more "safe" they make cars, the more people have the tendancy to act like idiots behind the wheel. So what makes that vehicle unsafe are the people operating it.

#21     Mar 24, 2009
  2. nkhoi

nkhoi

they drive like ants.

#22     Mar 24, 2009
  3. Can somebody who is raving about this 'car' explain to me why does it make more sense to buy this for $2800 than a used car for $300 that has everything (A/C, windows, seats, wheels, etc.)?

#23     Mar 24, 2009
  4. Frostie

Frostie

Well because maybe the used car market around the world is nothing like it is in North America, where 2/3 of the cars for sale are used. In many places people fix 10 year old cars for their daily driver, thus there are few used cars available for sale. I can't remember the last time I saw a car from the 80's on the street...

#24     Mar 24, 2009
  5. morganist

morganist Guest

i saw an article implying ratan tata might be downsizing or going out of business if the gov doesn't help them out.

#25     Mar 24, 2009
  6. #26     Mar 24, 2009
  7. Well indian traffic videos are hysterical but I think you have to view it as what came first...the model t or good roads, traffic laws and driving tests? Most the safety features we take for granted have nothing to do with the car itself.

Even with this car though I don't think I would buy TTM at these prices. Nissan is hot on their trail to bring a $2500 car to market in india.
    As usual, the US autos completely missed the boat again on something so obvious.

#27     Mar 24, 2009
  8. You guys don't get it

This new car opens a new channel in oil consumption. Yes the car is small but India has over 1BN people growing faster than ever before.

Imagine every Indian owns this car and some of them will upgrade to a bigger one once they have more money or CREDIT

where will the oil come from?

Do you see where we are headed?

#28     Mar 24, 2009
  9. DWV

DWV

They should call that car the "Thomas Malthus"...the modern cure for overpopulation.

#29     Mar 24, 2009
  10. no power steering.....ouch

#30     Mar 24, 2009