WorldQuant’s New Fund Said to Lose 9.5% as Chaos Smashes Algos

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Nov 21, 2018.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

WorldQuant’s New Fund Said to Lose 9.5% as Chaos Smashes Algos (Bloomberg)
    (Bloomberg) — WorldQuant’s first fund for outside investors lagged behind its target index in October and has underperformed the benchmark since it started, according to people who have been briefed on the returns. The $2.6 billion quant stock fund, a joint venture between Igor Tulchinsky’s WorldQuant and Izzy Englander’s Millennium Management, is designed to significantly outperform the MSCI World Index, said the people, asking not to be identified because the returns haven’t been publicly disclosed. The fund, which started in May, dropped 9.5 percent in October, compared with a 7.3 percent decline in the index.

silveredge likes this.
  2. Wait. I thought PhDs are smart.

jys78 likes this.
  3. Overnight

Overnight

What does he have a PhD in? The philosophy of how to make gobs of cash losing money that is not his own? Where can I take that course? Wait, my conscience will not allow me to do that, so I will probably die penniless. Sux to have morals.

4. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

don't confuse smarts with memory skills and test taking talent.

5. In general, quant funds are getting pwned, why?

6. Wow way to talk like a loser man.

Magic likes this.
  7. Overnight

Overnight

I'm not the one who signed up with this forum with a nick that indicated being a noob, twice, in one nick.

I was making a puerile and sarcastic joke there. I'm sorry you didn't get it.

8. What total nonsense.

Chaos ? What chaos ? Markets that go up are fine and dandy, but markets that go down are chaos ?

Any moron looking at charts can see that markets go up and down and have always done so.

volpri and GRULSTMRNN like this.
  9. Is there something wrong with thinking you're not a master of the markets

10. Lack of common sense that markets go up and down.

#10     Nov 21, 2018