World Wide Power Grids Could Be Knocked Out

Discussion in 'Economics' started by pspr, Aug 27, 2010.

1. pspr

pspr

Astronomers are predicting that a massive solar storm, much bigger in potential than the one that caused spectacular light shows on Earth earlier this month, is to strike our planet in 2012 with a force of 100 million hydrogen bombs.

"The general consensus among general astronomers (and certainly solar astronomers) is that this coming Solar maximum (2012 but possibly later into 2013) will be the most violent in 100 years," News.com.au quoted astronomy lecturer and columnist Dave Reneke as saying.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/139/20100826/981/tsc-massive-solar-storm-to-hit-earth-in_1.html

2. Astronomers are idiots. They just waste people's time.

3. heypa

heypa

Bearice. Brilliantly deduced. Thank you for your comprehensive analysis. Shows how capable the ET'RS are.

4. :D

Bearice is soley focused on his thesis that world war 3 is about to happen at any time now. How dare you cause him to think about anything else.

5. There is no food and water in the universe. Just think about Earth.

6. 377OHMS

377OHMS

The Sun is great fun and is a virtual ATM for me.

As a young guy I worked on commercial and classified communications satellites and spent time at remote locations doing in-orbit comm payload acceptance testing for vehicle handoff to customers. Later at university I got involved with small larmour radius oscillatory gyration of electrons running up and down magnetic flux lines in particle accelerators.

Later I started trying to make money and got called in to fix a sat comm problem. These guys were launching commerical rockets from a launch platform in the middle of the pacific (on the equator at 154-deg West). They had advertised that they had 24-hour launch capability but they were experiencing long duration comm outages between the launch platform, command ship and a pair of Intelsat comm sats comprising a WAN to Moscow, Eik, Dnepropetrosk and their Long Beach home port.

I went out with them and found two bands of ionospheric scintillation that run right on either side of the geomagnetic equator. As the vessels crossed these areas on the way to the launch site the shipboard sat comm systems could not track the Intelsat beacon because it was fluctuating in amplitude over 10dB. During the solar max in the late 90s the comm outages would extend all the way to the launch site. I got so I could predict the outages and they gave me a television channel on the command ship where I depicted looping movies made from still images of JPL projections for ionospheric instability, you could watch it in your cabin lol. The USAF gave me a grant and then supplied some equipment so they could monitor the scintillation as it was not well known previously. It turned out to be related to the gyrating electrons I worked on in school.

I made wheelbarrows of money on that. Solar Maximum is my friend. :D

7. You are either very smart or completely full of shit. :D

8. There is ice on Mars.

9. This is no joke. Imagine no power for months or even years.
    http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2009/29may_noaaprediction/

The House passed H.R. 5026 requiring power grid protection measures but the Senate dumped it.
    http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=188605

10. 377OHMS

377OHMS

LOL:D

Yeah its a tough call. And I just called complete BS on somebody else in another thread. I do have a freaky background, even for a hedgy.

#10     Aug 27, 2010