World Health Organization declares emergency, travel to Mexico banned, futures in red

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Port1385, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Anybody see Jon Stewart last night? He made a mockery of how the media is handling this swine flu. He did a great job of showing how the media is blowing this way out of proportion and basically fear mongering, just as Port is with this thread (shock me).

#11     Apr 28, 2009
  2. zzt

zzt

He was spot on. 150 dead people in the biggest city in the world is hardly a 'Pandemic'. Has anyone seen any figures on how many people die on avergae from regular seasonal flu in Mexico city? I would love to see them if anyone has them. (I hazard a guess its > 150 per week). In the absence of any 'normal' data (i.e. a control set) the numbers in the media are meaningless.

I saw a guy on bloomberg earlier today say 'Flu epidemic sweeping the globe' and then go on to say '150 dead'...both these statements can't be true at the same time. Totally unbalanced reporting and filtering out of usefull data.

#12     Apr 28, 2009
  3. That's pretty much his modus operandi. Port is the internet chicken little.

#13     Apr 28, 2009
  4. Yep. Lots of those fear mongers here with $2,000 accounts.

#14     Apr 28, 2009
  5. Please close this thread.

The thread starter is a known troll and the whole basis for the thread is a lie.

Please delete everything else Port has ever written on ET. Also please block his IP address so he can't start anymore ridiculous threads.

Thank you.

#15     Apr 28, 2009
  6. Wish I could, Clubber. As long as he stays outside the forums I moderate, I can do nothing to him! :(

#16     Apr 28, 2009
  7. I particularly liked how he showed clips of various news organizations stating headlines such as pandemic outbreak, the sky is falling, we will all be dead in a matter of minutes etc. etc. then Stewart subsequently showed clips of those same news organizations saying "we don't want to scare anybody" LOL

#17     Apr 28, 2009
  8. zdreg

zdreg

It is not in the best interest of ET for a moderator to call people names.

#18     May 1, 2009