World Governments should just stop stimulus programs - they only make matters WORSE.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by wilburbear, May 26, 2010.

1. Like trying to prop up the Euro - they only gave hedge funds a temporary rally to short into.

And why should taxpayers money be burned up in this way? So the current politicians can look good, and kick the can further down the road to those who will come after them - just like what has been done to the current regimes.

But the day of reckoning was years away. Then months away. Now it's days away with all of Europe holding the questionable paper of its neighbors. (By the way, this is how World War I started - irreversable, unlockable relationships).

http://mises.org/daily/4424

2. "Worse" is a point of view. If you look at it from the perspective of a "global elite" bent on collapsing the "world system"...then the stimulus programs are a success. No - I am not joking! Do you think our "leaders" are so stupid that they cannot read? Do you think that they don't know any history? They do! It is just that they want a "New World Order" Their idea is that in order to usher in their "New World Order" - they need to first collapse our present systems. The "average" man or woman will either be dead or a serf/peon in the "new" system.

The main problem today is not unlike the guy in the movie the Matrix who wanted to go back and eat steak. The masses do NOT want to view what is RIGHT BEFORE THEIR VERY EYES! It is MUCH easier to go through life thinking that our "beloved leaders" are just too stupid to read or know any history. NOOOOO - they DO know what will happen...they just think that they will be on the "winning" team. They think they and their families will be all set when the "New World Order" takes place.

-gastropod

3. Arent they already winners though? I mean, they are world leaders with money & power...how much more set up do they need to be when they already have everything?

Also, the "average" man or woman is already a serf/peon in this system, arent they?

4. Good points!

I think to your first point though...they still have to be elected...how much easier just to do away with those damned things we call elections - ahhh, then they would have authority and power :D

I think for your second point...these people are so depraved and infatuated with authority and power that they even despise the thought that somebody out there could be happy or "own" something.

Peil - I would LOVE to hear your answer to these question: What do you own? No, I mean really own? What do you think of the term "allodial"? I'll give my response to the questions after my sig.

-gastropod

My answers: Sadly - I do not own a single thing! I cannot even throw out the shirt on my back without coming under some law that governs how we throw out trash. If I died while writing this post...my beneficiaries could not even have the shirt on my back without some sort of probate or me being in some sort of trust (also under some laws). I couldn't die and leave things without a review by some court and possibly some sort tax being levied against the stuff I left behind. Some people think they "own" their house...just try stopping paying taxes on that baby and let us see how long you "own" your home. Peil's point about us already being serfs/peons - all to true - we can't own a thing! Americans no longer know the concept of "allodial!" If you don't know the term go look it up and memorize it!

5. Unfortunately, much of what you write is too true, BUT....
    people, including those in power, just arent smart enough or competent enough to actually plan AND execute what you suggest.

Not that the elitists wouldnt probably love to - I dont question the malintent of many of those in power...but for cryin out loud, any cursory review of the slightest organized operation nowadays reveals nothing short of wholesale incompetence on every level. To believe in some sort of orchestrated plan that actually is EXECUTED as planned is just laughable.

Nope. I'm more inclined to believe that the motives of those in power today are way more mundane. Tell people want they want to hear so they re-elect you. Shovel entitlements and benefits to the masses that are unfunded and basically charged to future generations simply because its easier than telling your constituents that to pay for it, more taxes are needed, and if you insisted on efficient enactment of entitlements and judicious use of funds u would piss off the legions of freeloaders who live off graft and corruption. Take what amount to bribes from special interests, because you actually NEED that money to 1)spend it on campaigning costs to win the next election and 2) need to funnel it into as many things that will generate future private kickbacks, favors, appearances, future consulting jobs and board positions, etc etc etc as you can. In order to SEEM like you are passionate in public service, participate in circus-like televised congressional hearings regarding all kinds of nonsense that doesnt matter and you clearly barely understand even if it did, and even further take no action on in any event (beyond the televised hearings).

Not really big conspiracies at work, just greed, incompetence, corruption, crony capitalism, laziness, complacency, and stupidity. Oh, and moral decay.

6. MattF

MattF

Maybe that's the conspiracy part...which would make things even more screwed up then ever though possible :D

7. Political and financial elites ( at the first aproximation, the same people ) understood some 7 decades ago that gigantic government spending is a way of "saving" a moribund capitalistic economy. How many decades more will it take for the religious gun-ho free market people to realize that a substancial base for the economy is the dynamic state sector ( the pentagon system is a good example )?

8. My answers: Sadly - I do not own a single thing! I cannot even throw out the shirt on my back without coming under some law that governs how we throw out trash. If I died while writing this post...my beneficiaries could not even have the shirt on my back without some sort of probate or me being in some sort of trust (also under some laws). I couldn't die and leave things without a review by some court and possibly some sort tax being levied against the stuff I left behind.
    -------------------------------------------

Good point.

I'd add that we can't even do anything without asking permission. Somewhere there is an agency whose permission you need.

Wake up tomorrow and think I'll open a vegetable stand, better check with someone. Ride a bike, better check and see if you need a helmet.

If you walk around a city and admire historical buildings, ha, every building is "illegal" and could never be built again.

This life is like being an 8 year old and asking your parents if you can do something.

9. That's one big assumption you make, considering the progress of the elites so far. Maybe it's you who just is not smart enough to see what is going on.

#10     May 27, 2010