Working with system developers

Discussion in 'Trading' started by nicbizz, Aug 8, 2010.

1. GRECHA

GRECHA

Although I think that it ultimately boils down to the unique agreement between the parties involved, I think this does raise interesting questions as to the risk for reward element to structuring a "proper" contract and if this really is the ideal model for imposing of this relationship at all. Although maybe a stretch to think, that to some the risk as value is defined differently by each party. If as a result of the work of a good programmer, an investor improves and clarifies his trading strat, which makes him a better investor 10 fold, how do you value that? and vice versa, if a programmer becomes a better investor and programmer, which allows him better paying opportunities, how does he compensate for that?
    However, this might over complicate things.
    I would head in the direction of arranging a reward structure where the programmer would get paid once for his services rendered, plus a bonus equity amount that is tied to the performance of each algo programmed well. That way, his interests and the investors interests are more aligned.

#11     Aug 8, 2010
  2. You don't need a system programmer, you need to learn a programming language - Visual Basic is pretty darn easy to learn.

#12     Aug 8, 2010
  3. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

No end to the nonesense opinions concerning IT services.

I have to laugh when the idea of hiring recent high school or college grads come up I spent years making good money fixing up pilot systems that people in these categories created.

Do it yourself well yes if you are a better programmer then a trader then go for it.

Reality is there are developers making good money developing or supporting trading systems for some big players in the industry. Why is that I wonder ?

You get what you pay for.

#13     Aug 8, 2010
  4. ^This post nailed it.

#14     Aug 8, 2010
  5. First things first. You need to get any programmer to sign a 'non-use and non-disclosure' agreement before discussing anything with them. You can find templates for this type of agreement on the web. This agreement needs to state that you are the owner of the proprietary information and that they have no rights to it.

Most developers are happy to do this. It is fairly standard. Do not deal with anyone that claims otherwise.

I found a great developer for system strategies for about $50 US an hour. I think that's a fair rate. I'm very happy with quality of work I get. Fast turnaround. He understands market terminology. He's happy to correct bugs straight away. And he was happy to sign an NDA.

Runningbear

#15     Aug 8, 2010
  6. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

I just noticed you were posting more oddball ideas on another thread. As a service to others we should all note this and the likelihood that you have anything useful to say on software development is ZERO.

That is one drawback of the internet, one cannot completely avoid the idiots like yourself who profess knowledge in areas they know absolutely nothing about.

#16     Aug 15, 2010
  7. You are quite right Nine_Ender...I am full of Crap!

#17     Aug 16, 2010
  8. MGB

MGB

This is America. Everything is negotiable.

#18     Aug 16, 2010