Working at Google vs Facebook

Discussion in 'App Development' started by fan27, Sep 3, 2019.

1. fan27

fan27

Another gem from the TechLead!

guru likes this.
  2. MBAs as project managers at any tech firm => disaster
    But I would definitely go with the firm that serves free ice cream (amazing by which crappy perks some people are motivated that it makes it into such kind of video) ;-)

fan27 likes this.
  3. trader99

trader99

Didn't he get fired today? I wished they didn't do that. But he's so talented he will get another job in no time.

4. Something is off with this guy. Claims the entire time how smart he is, how hard working he is, what awesome salaries he earned but then he got fired at least three times by his own admission, his family left him, and he drives some rock bottom junk (he may even live in it). But boldly proclaims how he already got financially independent 10 years ago. However, subsequently he took on 80 hour per week jobs. The following video is mentally disturbing imho.

5. d08

d08

Sometimes I think he's just being sarcastic but other times I think he's just full of shit. Can't tell.

6. Nobert

Nobert

For those who haven't seen yet :

He mentions in another vid, that hes saving up another 350k for comeback.
    (no he does not,that's a joke)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  7. Yeah, definitely a hard to see through character.

Nobert likes this.
  8. fan27

fan27

The guy is certainly a character...I appreciate his dry sense of humor.

Regarding the video I posted, his critique of Facebook is devastating. Assuming it is accurate, could you imagine having to use a version of Facebook for all of your company communication. To say that a tech company has crappy internal tooling and list the reasons why is horrible publicity for the tech company. Another interesting point he brought up about Facebook is the core factors (initiative, people, direction, etc.) that employees are graded against. I can attest, having worked in tech for quite a awhile, that employees will behave in ways that will improve their "score" which is not always best for the company or project they are working on. The lamer the metrics are for which the employees are graded, the worse the unintended consequences can be as is described in the video.

9. Sig

Sig

Actually I'd argue that electrical or software engineer without any management training as project managers at any tech firm often lead to disaster, especially when it comes to actual business success for the company. MBA with a non-technical undergrad, agreed probably a bigger disaster. MBA with an engineering undergrad, depends on the person and the schools but that can be a pretty successful combination. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm an EE undergrad with an MBA, but also had success founding two software startups and have had the opportunity to work with all 3 types so while biased my view does at least have a weak anecdotal basis.
    The free ice cream thing is funny, especially since when it comes down to it was actually provided so the employees don't have to waste time going off-site to buy food enabling them to work longer/harder (that's actually the IRS criteria for being able to write those costs off!).

trader99 and fan27 like this.
  10. You are probably right, I omitted to consider the possibility of undergrad engineering or CS experience.

#10     Sep 4, 2019