"Working alone" when trading...

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by retaildaytrader, Mar 3, 2010.

1. dont

dont

CNBC Bloomberg are for

This just out Pakistan just dropped a nuke on Delhi,
    or some lunatic just flew an airbus into a building.

Rest is just crap.

#21     Mar 5, 2010
  2. It's not noise to me. It's like driving with the radio on. Do you listen to all the songs and commercial, or just hearing selectively. It works 4 me and like I said been profitable.

#22     Mar 5, 2010
  3. There's a saying... too many cooks spoil the broth..
    There were instances that I had to just take the leap...

#23     May 21, 2010
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Netflix. For $9 you can have thousands of movies streamed to your TV or computer. Today I watched District 13...

Even a crappy movie is better than CNBC. (I do have it on in the background but not really paying attention to it.)

#24     May 21, 2010
  5. It all depends on your personality. I began trading alone after a few of my friends went to a different firm. I think trading alone suits me very well. Although I can't completely discount the value of having other good traders around. You see more potential opportunities than you ever would alone.

#25     May 21, 2010
  6. I may have taken working alone to an extreme.

In 2004 when 2 hurricanes came over my house and flooded my wife's downtown 2500sq ft office space. I spent nearly a year away from trading. That summer I put a new roof on my house (2) twice, hauled out seven rooms of water damaged office furnishings and relocated, built out and refurnished my wife's office. And then, my daughter and granddaughter "came home." My trading station had been "taken over" by a five year old girl!

Also wind damaged was a small "garden" shed in my side yard. A Contractor friend of mine helped me turn that "shed" into a beautiful 900+sq ft cottage. Inside we made an "art room" for my wife, a woodworking shop, a storage room, kitchen and my "trading station."

I enjoy solitude while trading and studying. I also value guidance. Knowing "what" to study to achieve a certain outcome saved me a lot of time and frustration. I have friends that "forgot" more than I'll ever know about mathematics, computer programing and psychology. I can always run an idea by them or pick their brain by picking up the phone. I don't think of my market as a war or a battle, but I do subscribe to Sun Tzu's Strategy for Success; Organize a Team. I'm the only one who knows, who's on my team!

http://www.philosophyblog.com.au/images/paris-hilton-reading-the-art-of-war-by-sun-tzu.jpg

Good trading
    <*)))><

#26     May 22, 2010
  7. spindr0

spindr0

A few years ago I traded pre-market news and for that hour and a half I was on speaker phone with another trader as we scanned market news for potential movers. Not really a discussion of what to do but another pair of eyes seeking possible movers. Each decided what trade to take. Four eyes were better than two, particularly when the scrolling got rolling :)

#27     May 23, 2010