Working, a virtue or a curse?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Debaser82, Nov 14, 2009.

?

1. Virtue

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. curse

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Lethn

Lethn

I think if you're doing what you wanted and you are getting rewarded well for it then I see absolutely no reason what's wrong with working.

This is the problem with most jobs now though a lot of the time corporations will pay you the bear minimum unless you are really skilled and even then it's tricky because they want to keep things as cheap as possible. That is pretty much where I consider it pretty much slavery.

I think far too many people have been lulled into complacency right now, I actually plan on being a Freelancer maybe if I can't get any work because I'm just sick of being out of work! Why should I have to suffer if I'm willing to be productive?

#21     Nov 16, 2009
  2. Mav88

Mav88

So the question should be is working for others a virtue or a curse, and the answer of course is that it all depends on the environment and the pay.

I think working for yourself is not just a virtue, but necessary for a good life.

#22     Nov 16, 2009
  3. I don't agree. Firstly, Pina Coladas (no apostrophe) are low quality drinks. If you are going to spend your life getting sozzled in the sun then at least drink something worthwhile like high quality champagne, vintage whisky or a good naturally fermented beer.

Secondly, drunkenness is weakness, an artificial high that lowers your ability to think, perceive, fight and fuck properly. It fattens the belly and shrinks the mind, and makes you boring and stupid in the eyes of people who aren't wasted. Unless you have no libido or a will of iron, it also makes it far more likely that you'll end up sleeping with people you shouldn't, with the attendant risk of STDs, jealous lovers, and unwanted pregnancies. Furthermore, it increases the risk of other disasters like car crashes, drowning, getting beaten up or robbed and so on.

Third, hot weather is overrated. Being in the sun wrinkles your skin, making you old and leather-faced before your time, not to mention the higher risk of skin cancer. Having the same weather 365 days a year is, quite frankly, boring. And Hawaii is a long way from anywhere - what if you suddenly get the urge to travel somewhere different? It's not like you can just get in your car and drive across the Pacific in a few hours.

Fourth, if you actually like or love trading, why would you want to quit? The point of trading is not to make money for retirement, the point of trading is to master the art of riding big moves, and to steadily achieve legendary status by doing it again and again on full size without ever coming close to blowing up.

Finally, retirement is boring as hell. Personally I have never been on a resort holiday anywhere on earth where I didn't feel numb within 4-5 days. Can you imagine being there every day all year, for decades? During the prime of your life? Why waste your best years in margaritaville? Leisure is only interesting if you are worked like a dog and don't get any - then it's the lesser of two evils, a temporary solace, a bit like how water is only really tasty to a man parched with thirst. If you take a step back and reflect on what is truly interesting in this world, you will notice that the majority of it involves both productive effort and elements of play, and activities rather more interesting and meaningful than sitting on a bar stool downing cheap cocktails. So, my advice would be to find a way of making a living that involves those two qualities. If you are remotely interested in games, puzzle-solving, strategy & analysis, with an element of risk involved, then trading is a pretty good choice. It sure beats sipping pina coladas.

#23     Nov 16, 2009
  4. Nice post Cutten.

But hey, the only reason I started working for myself was so I could knock off early and kick back some brewski's around 2-3 in the afternoon. This went on for quite a few years. Funny thing happened, I was pretty good businessman and bada bing bada boom, I found myself working more and drinking less. Soon I had to quit drinking altogether to keep up with work.

I know this sounds like a joke but it is true. I haven't had a drink in years and everything you wrote about alcohol is spot on.

#24     Nov 16, 2009
  5. thank you Ghost. You make coming to ET worthwhile .

#25     Nov 17, 2009
  6. Bootsie

Bootsie

There's a guy who lives down the road from me... he's a retired cop. He spends his days cleaning out his garage, washing his Buick (white), cutting his lawn and (no lie here) walking through the ditches of the golf course behind our house looking for balls. Then he sells them in egg cartons on his front lawn.

Every time I see him I get the quivers... like when you take a swig of cough medicine.

Often, when I see this guy peddlin' around on his bike, I will think of my uncle... a man, who in his 80's, built from the ground up, the largest mushroom farm in North America... a man worth mid 10 figures who tells me that what he does each day isn't work.

The retired cop told me once that he had a calendar in his locker that kept track of the days until he retired... he couldn't wait; he would cross off a day each day for years until "it" was over.

I mean, yes, the money is nice on the one hand but if you knew what poverty he came from...

Take your pick....

#26     Nov 17, 2009
  7. Work is good.

Working 6 months out of the year to fuel the idiots-in-charge is a curse.

#27     Nov 18, 2009
  8. Productivity in America goes up but wages remain stagnant. Reagan must be up there trickling down on American workers and
    laughing his ass off. Where did your raise go? Into your supervisors bonus or Health Care Insurers pockets to pay employers benefit costs.

#28     Nov 18, 2009
  9. maxpi

maxpi

I've been working towards my trading goals every day for years... that's not work for the most part, it's something I want to do.. no curse in that at all... my dime and my time = happiness for me.

I had a fifteen year period where I was engineering Pacemakers and other implantables, our quality was exceptionally high, we were helping millions of people. A pacemaker typically goes into somebody that is pretty old and it gives them good quality of life for about five years.. I could always think about all the old folks that could enjoy their grand kids and their doggies for five good years.. work was not a curse at all, it was a glorious thing to do.. then the company got bought by some pieces of shit that destroyed the quality of the products and destroyed the worker happiness and then work was a huge curse.... so if you have a job that is glorious I'd recommend working there and swing trading on your dime and your time, if not, then make a list entitled: "what can I get out of this place before I get out of this place" and just loot it, burn it on the way out for all I care...

#29     Nov 18, 2009
  10. =================
    PeTT, good points.
    Solomon said also ''in all labor there is profit''
    A human body is not created to sit around doing nothing[without exercise].Bad health is assured that way.:cool:

Amazing how so many in media pretend health is about just getting/twisting the insurance co to lower premiums;
    that's like thinking car maintance is simply comparing tow truck rates/collision premium prices.LOL:D

#30     Nov 18, 2009