words of wisdom from Jim Rogers

Discussion in 'Economics' started by olias, May 13, 2011.

1. olias

olias

"...You do a lot of reading. [As much as you can] read, anyway. I came from a generation that knows about reading. You have to read, research, do your homework – call it what you will, who knows what the terms will be in our lifetime. But whatever the terms are, you have to read lots of sources. Relying on one source is not terribly good.

Now there are thousands of sources on the internet. You have to find some you can read and verify the accuracy. But whatever you do, read various sources and then synthesize in your own head. I’m sure you’ll be able to find plenty of people who will say the sky is blue, others who will say the sky is purple, the sky doesn’t exist. You’ll find lots of views and you have to synthesize by doing your own homework to see what color the sky really is. Make your own judgments and invest accordingly." ---Jim Rogers

he's talking about how to know when and where to invest, but the wisdom should be applied to politics and economics in general. Get some different perspective on things and synthesize your own view. Too many nutjobs come on here spouting nonsense about how 'the sky doesn't exist' because they read it somewhere. In this day and age of misinformation it's as important as ever to seek out multiple viewpoints and not be such a mindless puppet.

part 2 of Rogers interview http://www.investmentu.com/2011/May/jim-rogers-interview-part-two.html#more-19653

2. This article from 2003 was one of the first I read getting into economics and it really shaped my views I would say looking back.

http://www.financialsensearchive.com/transcriptions/2003/RT090603.html

Rogers really is a great guy.

You can even email him and he'll get back to you fast. Ithink it says a lot.

Although I really wouldnt know what to ask him...

Besides why he and Soros really hate each other that much these days.

:p

It's still weird imagining them 2 working together for a decade.

You know there is not 1 picture available of them together on the internet?

3. fanews

fanews

Who cares about jim rogers, buffet, soros etc or all the guys running billion dollar hedge funds?

I mean the only difference between them and the average joe trader investor is they have more money in their pockets and have privilleged information and can afford good research.

none of these guys actually do much research or trade or work.

these guys i guess they are just sales man to sell their fund units to investors.

these guys make their money on {{management fees and commissions==easy money.}}

4. "...You do a lot of reading. [As much as you can] read, anyway. I came from a generation that knows about reading....

Jimmy must have read too much ET. he held silver through the parabolic rise and subsequent fall.

5. Although I really wouldnt know what to ask him...

----------------------

I asked him where you could sell a bar of gold bullion and get the spot price.

He didn't know the answer so he side stepped my question by asking me why I would have a bar of gold. lol

6. http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/6479

Watch Jimmy Rogers pump commodities and China in this 1995 video.

People say it's easy to predict what goes up 10 years from now and everyone can be right that way I say please tell we what's up 500% to 1000% in 10 years and I will be forever gratefull.

Buy sugar...:D

In 1995...:D

7. Most places in the world you can just sell and buy gold at your local bank!

I take it that is not the case in the US but I don't know why that is.

8. Most places in the world you can just sell and buy gold at your local bank!

I take it that is not the case in the US but I don't know why that is.
    ------------------------------------
    Can you get the spot price and thanks for the reply.

9. You can at least overhere (Belgium). There is a spread obviously but they are nationwide and the same at all banks.

You can also buy gold at exchange offices and gold dealers, but surely this must be the case in the US if not where would US citizens buy their gold.

Watch this site to get an idea of current prices for buying and selling gold in the center of Europe.

http://www.gold4ex.be/servlet/javaparser?pgm=lst_or_new&lg=nl

So you buy 1 KG gold for +0,5% over spot, you sell 1 KG gold for minus 0,5% under spot.

For the coins you sell a Krugerrand at spot and buy with a 2.5% premium.

Maple Leafs go with a 1% premium and you buy with a 4% premium.

This difference between Leafs and Krugerrands is kind of a recent development really.

Premiums drop and rise depending on (local?) tightness I guess.

You payed 10% over spot to buy a golden ounce when Greece first emerged as a problem, but apparantly buying has been less severe going into the sovereign crisis premiums have fallen considerably.

10. Thanks for the reply. Very good information.

#10     May 14, 2011