Word of Warning ...

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by djxput, Oct 6, 2006.

1. djxput

djxput

It appears that one of the software venders that I recently tried a trial with uses your email to send you spam.

And I'm not refering to the typical company 'spam' type of emails this is just spam.

My email was generally free from spam (although I would get the occasional ebay/paypal phishing email - I wouldnt get 'financial' spam emails).

In the past week I had been trying a few different software trials and now I'm on someone's spam list.

Is there a way I can trace to see where these things are coming from and report their ISP as to what is going on (I realize that someone else may have set up someone's computer as a bot - but I still would like to do my part and stop this).

Also these software trial runs weren't obscure programs (I got them from this forum; I just dont know which one it is else I would post it (I can post which ones I trial ran thou).

oh in case your wondering what type of spam it is (example)

"From Sherrie Dumas with a title of St ock 2 (to bypass spam filters)

BIG NEWS ARE HITTING ON WEDNESDAY FOR CRSVF!!!
    DON'T miss this INVESTMENT MOMENT, PLACE CR SVF ON THE RADAR!!!

Trade A lert: WEDnesday, October 03, 2006
    STOCK: CRSVF.OB
    Current Pri ce : $0.19
    Pr evClose : $0.18
    Recommendation: STR ONG B UY

WATCH THIS S TO CK GO HIGHER AND HI GHER
    DON'T M ISS THIS INV EST MENT MOMENT, PLACE CRSVF ON THE RA DA R!!!

About Capital Reserve Canada:
    CRC is an oil & gas services company based in Edmonton, Alberta.
    Through its wholly owned subsidiary, KCP Innovative Services, Inc., Capital Reserve Canada offers technologically advanced tools for use in several areas of the industry.
    The first aids in testing and development of newly found resources; another measure existing wells' productivity; and the third hastens well abandonment, ensuring compliance with regulatory emission guidelines.
    The fourth, through its prop rietary hardware and software techno logies, is used to dete rmine the profitability of coal bed methane deposits, which may be developed and sold as natural gas.

CRC has a second wholly owned subsidiary, Two Hills Environmental, to assist with problem waste from oil & gas companies, and provide underg round storage.

ADD THIS GE M TO YOUR PORTFOLI0 AND WATCH IT TRADE ON Wednesday, October 04, 2006 !!!!!!
    TR ADE SM ART AND W I N WITH CRSVF!!!
    "

2. Thats why I use a free hotmail or yahoo email address for things like free trials and for information. It's a given they are going to sell your email address. If you have an email dedicated for stuff like that it wont clog up your main email.

Get a yahoo or hotmail account and use that email for all the free trials.

3. djxput

djxput

I actually have a free hotmail account but for some reason I figured - "These software companies are professionals they wont spam me or anything like that ..."

Guess I learned my lesson.