Wonkbook: 84 percent oppose Ryan’s Medicare plan

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Covertibility, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Great answer. Just not to the question posed.

#11     Apr 20, 2011
  2. olias

olias

That's true; I've never heard of that ratio before.

I'm just making a point, when it comes to politics...actually any issue, I don't take anything at face value. There's too much bullshit out there. I think it's wise to be suspicious of any figures and take at look at who is providing them.

I wasn't trying to make fun of what you wrote in any way.

Carry on

#12     Apr 20, 2011
  3. Tell you what... once you've figured out your own country's problems, then you can get to work on my country's. Sound reasonable?

#13     Apr 20, 2011
  4. Another artful dodge & parry by someone who can't seem to follow through on what he started in this very thread.

#14     Apr 20, 2011
  5. i guess i'm one of the 14% that want's to take an axe (not a scalpel) to government spending in all forms.

45% of american's didn't pay any federal taxes this year
    43% of american's felt the tax rates are about right

i wish i was on the dole

----

and for the silly people who think we can soak the rich into paying even more of the total tax burden- when the top 5% already pay more than 58% of the taxes, while earning less than 40% of all of the income in the country- get real. i know that math is difficult for most (fake) traders- but the inequality there should be obvious with a cursory glance

#15     Apr 20, 2011
  6. “Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?”

- Robert Browning

#16     Apr 20, 2011
  7. piezoe

piezoe

And that is a very good point! Something we should all be mindful of no matter what our political persuasion.

#17     Apr 20, 2011
  8. olias

olias

I have a problem with that kind of thinking. Basically you're saying he shouldn't care about people in the US, or other parts of the world for that matter. I think that's bullshit.

Don't you get upset when people are getting stepped on in other countries? ...when you read about human rights violations in China?

We should encourage opinions from everywhere.

#18     Apr 20, 2011
  9. piezoe

piezoe

What would have proved, in all probability, to be the most effective cost containment feature, viz. the public option, of Obamacare was defeated by Republican opposition. In the end, one has to conclude that keeping as much of U.S. medical care in control of the private sector as possible -- never mind that U.S. private sector medicine is a government protected cartel -- was more important to Republicans than cost containment. I have to respect that position, even though i think it fails to recognize that when you have a cartel delivering a service that no one can refuse, you have a very serious cost containment problem, and therefore i think the public option was the least bad choice.

Something will, of course, eventually have to give. And then someone is going to make less money! Who will, or should that be? That's the third rail of medical reform that no politician will ever voluntarily touch until they sense that public opinion has moved far enough that even though they touch the rail, they will survive the next election.

#19     Apr 20, 2011
  10. Unless, of course, Rodney et al happen to disagree with them.

#20     Apr 20, 2011