Wondering what is wrong or not good enough?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by zoli, Apr 17, 2012.

1. zoli

zoli

By the way, could you please explain what you men by this:

using 4-1

I just do not understand the expression.

Thanks

#31     May 9, 2012
  2. Sry meant 4:1 as in retail day trading margin.

#32     May 9, 2012
    #33     May 10, 2012
  4. When I used to do lots of back testing on stocks, I played around leverage to maximize performance. Even the best systems nulled the account with 4x leverage.

#34     May 11, 2012
  5. zoli

zoli

Hmm yes I see. The position must be sized reasonably. I started with 1:100 in FX and never had any problem, so I am still using it.
    It is true, though, that I always use carefully assessed position sizes and I think I never actually fully utilized this big leverage. I could have done the same performance with a much lower too.

#35     May 13, 2012
  6. ================
    Light marathon;
    It can work for a while[large leverage];
    Bunker Hunt/silver,
    Bear Stearns/banking.
    LTC/trading,
    Lehman/banking/blaming shortsellers.............................

Some do well with large leverage;
    but with a worst case scenerio of that[large leverage] being a small/very small % of capital.:cool:

#36     May 14, 2012
  7. True, it can work for a while beautifully, until a string of losing trades.
    Zoli mentions 100x leverage he uses in fx. It means that a sudden 100pip spike wipes his account almost clean, if he is on the wrong side.

#37     May 14, 2012
  8. zoli

zoli

Sure it would if I was that silly to put that large position. I always have pre-determined risk and I always use a hard stop just in case.
    In fx you do not need to worry too much about gaps like in futures. Yout SL order can get filled.

So a 100 pip sudden spike sure erases my position if my SL order is in the way. In that case I lose what I already decided to be my risk.

So, frankly I never got the margin call and account wiping thing. So easyexample, I want to long eurusd and I am willing to risk say 2% of capital. I put the SL to the level where the trade would be invalidated and I size my position accordingly. I also keep track on the amount of margin I need if I am in red. I have always done so.

Do I do something wrong? Do I take an inappropreate approch?
    I am asking seriously and not ironically trust me. Maybe I am with a too small position in the market, would that be so? I am interested in your reply, remember, this thread is about "Wondering what is wrong or not good enough?".

Z

#38     May 14, 2012
  9. Your account will tell you if you are doing something wrong or right.

As far as your fx leverage: if per trade you risk no more than 2% of your equity and you avoid the news releases, than you are fine in my opinion.

But if I understood your usage of 1:100 leverage correctly you meant the following: for example you have 10,000 usd in your account and you open a 700k eurusd position (about 1:100) than your stop must be 3.5 pips away so you don't lose more than 2% of your account.
    Yes, there are certain types of trades, when you can get away with such a small stop, but those are the exceptions, but most of the time such a small stop loss is taken out.

#39     May 15, 2012
  10. zoli

zoli

I rather put it this way:
    correct usage of that leverage is (in my risk management style)
    : I have 10000 usd in my account, I never ever open a 700000 usd position with that small ballance, that would be a 7 lot line. 3.5 pip movement in this market happens whenever Bernanke blinks or farts. So I consider min 50 pip or rather 150 pip SL level to a position which is to survive a day and get into the flow of a trend.
    In that case the correct size for me is 0.13 lot for 150 pip SL. So my risk is 0.13*10*150=200 usd, 2% of my ballance.

But we understand each other.

#40     May 15, 2012