Women and life balance

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by SillyWilly, Apr 28, 2018.

1. speedo

speedo

Once you start to teach someone, it dawns on you how much complexity there is in what now appears "simple". Which is why I like to avoid teaching people how to trade :D

#31     Apr 28, 2018
    TreeFrogTrader and Xela like this.
  2. jl1575

jl1575

The journey to trade consistently profitable is quite different from other schemes like getting a degree from college that once you complete certain amount of credits/courses you are good to go. Some can devote for ten years learning/doing it and still fare miserably.

#32     Apr 28, 2018
  3. nickynoes

nickynoes

I get that feeling sometimes when I try to tell her what and why I am doing some things. It feels as naturally as breathing to me but every explanation from me brings another 100 questions. Luckily I enjoy teaching.

#33     Apr 28, 2018
  4. speedo

speedo

I too like to teach, a problem I have with teaching trading is despite one's best effort, there is a good chance the student will still fail. I don't care to be part of that.

#34     Apr 28, 2018
    tommcginnis likes this.
  5. Xela

Xela

I've had very mixed experiences trying (usually briefly!) to explain "how to trade" to people.

Specific questions aren't bad, and the more specific they are, the easier they tend to be to answer (if you actually know the answer).

But "generally teaching people" is another story.

In my experience, the easiest are people who know absolutely nothing at all; and then people who already know quite a lot that's accurate, true, reasonable and not ill-informed are next-best.

I find other groups ("in-between") close to impossible, because so much of their "information" rests on beliefs they already have, many of which are typically entirely misguided/mistaken, and but those beliefs, that inform everything else, are just lying there hidden and coloring everything else you tell them, and you can never find out what they are. I can't, anyway. [​IMG]

#35     Apr 28, 2018
    Sprout, nickynoes and speedo like this.
  6. speedo

speedo

Yep, can't fill an empty cup unless it knows it's empty.

#36     Apr 28, 2018
  7. nickynoes

nickynoes

I think it’s very important to cleanse a trading trainee first of all. Teach them of biases and how their own psyche will get in the way of trading. The actual trading techniques are easy, especially if you as the teacher has already tested the strategy extensively.

Makes me think of a remark from market wizards, where Ed Seykota taught a class on trading, the first 2 weeks were spent on teaching the students a working system. The 6 remainding weeks were needed to fix their psychology so that they could trade it.

#37     Apr 28, 2018
    Sprout and Xela like this.
  8. jinxu

jinxu

When you have taught a hundred people on how to trade and they all failed at it. To be honest you have to wonder is the failure on the students or is it the teacher (or the method). Hehe

#38     Apr 28, 2018
  9. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

There are times when your Intellectual Capital MUST lead you places:

But the most important line in that movie is one which most people miss:
    "Happiness [is] only real when [it is] shared."

SO! We all have some amount of Intersocial Capital. Some of that Intersocial Capital is Emotional Capital.

We can divide our Emotional Capital amongst many-but-lesser relationships, or between fewer, deeper relationships. (And if robbed of our Emotional Capital, we can get a pet -- go take a look at the path of divorces and the path of "pet" expenditures over the last 30-40 years.)

If we take our available Emotional Capital and invest it in a relationship, it should be on level ground, with a foundation of Respect, and three independent walls of Trust, Honesty, and Loyalty. (These don't have to be *perfect* walls -- as long as it still functions as a wall.) The capstone thing here is a sound roof of Love -- to weather a crap-ton-load of storms from Life.

"Life?"

Life. Like the magazine!

The purpose of Life?? Easy
    To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.

None of this is presumed to answer your (great) question. But perhaps it might help to clarify it some.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    #39     Apr 28, 2018
    Sprout and speedo like this.
  10. JSOP

JSOP

When you are lucky, you will find women who will also have long lasting friendship with you.

#40     Apr 28, 2018