Woman cut in half by subway train

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Maverick74, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/death_fall_on_subway_Z2yayN74QkLRcP03jaOQfO

An aspiring doctor was killed in a horrific subway accident yesterday when she passed out on a sweltering Upper East Side platform and fell onto the tracks -- realizing what happened too late to escape an uptown train bearing down on her.

Fatoumata Binta Amina Diallo, 21, "was cut in half," said one shocked witness.

Diallo fainted at around 3 p.m. at the 77th Street/Lexington Avenue station, which was filled with schoolkids on their way home, said transit and police sources.

The Bronx woman had been returning from a dental appointment, said her family.

Diallo came to after falling onto the rail bed, and desperately tried to get out of the way of the No. 6 train by scrambling to the area between the north- and southbound tracks.

But she couldn't move fast enough. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

The young woman's death devastated her family.

Close to 50 wailing mourners gathered last night at the West Tremont Avenue apartment she shared with her father, stepmother and brother.

"The family's traumatized. The father can't even speak. This is just horrible," said a cousin who asked not to be identified.

Diallo, a native of Ghana, had been studying at Borough of Manhattan Community College and dreamed of becoming a doctor, according to family members.

She had just celebrated her birthday last Thursday.

The accident horrified straphangers on the packed Bronx-bound train.

"I heard the thump, the train hit something and it stopped," said passenger Nicole Katzender, 26, of Queens.

Sandra Pereira, 47, also of Queens, described a chaotic scene in the tragedy's aftermath.

"Everyone was waiting for the train, and they started screaming," she said.

Riders said temperatures in the subway station were very high as the mercury outside reached 90 degrees, making it the hottest day of the year so far.

With added humidity, it felt closer to 102 degrees, said AccuWeather meteorologist Mike Pigott.

Straphanger Amber Shanks, 19, from The Bronx, said, "It's extremely hot down here. It's not safe."

Additional reporting by John Doyle

jamie.schram@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...n_subway_Z2yayN74QkLRcP03jaOQfO#ixzz1O9N4chcv

2. Eight

Eight

That could screw up your whole day...

I saw video of a guy that had climbed part way out of the track area but the clearance between the train and the platform was only an inch and the guy's waist was squeezed into that inch.. his upper body was sticking up and one severed leg was laying on the platform. The only thing keeping his guts in was the squeeze between the train and the platform.. they have to jack up the car to get them out of that spot and they die very shortly after that..

Last year a teenager was walking across some AmTrak right of way just outside the station while listening to his headphones. The train's engineer said that the last thing the kid did was look around and see the train but it was too late... the thing is that a hundred little grammar schoolers were waiting to go on a field trip and the train rolled up with the guys body parts sticking right out in their view... they had to be counseled and all.. the teenager was a drug addled kid with psych problems and a client of a friend of mine that advocates for the homeless mentally ill. Our first thought was he killed himself but the engineer said he was completely startled by the train...

3. JamesL

JamesL

I still don't understand why those trains HAVE TO speed into the station. Is the thirty seconds really going to clog up the system?

4. Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please stand behind the yellow tiles while you wait for your train. Thank you.

5. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Yep. I love that when people feel the need to wait one feet away from their potential death. A mentally ill person can come, push you and it's the end.Good job.

6. Knew someone who's best friend was hit by a tram, died on the spot.
    Broad daylight, no adverse issues-just got hit by a tram.
    Think subways are unsafe? Try a loco, travelling along city streets, (albeit much slower) where travellers have to cross traffic to a pedestrian island just to get on the thing.

Trams scare me.

7. Maverick74

Maverick74

It's a little more complicated then that. I lived in NY for 2 years and during rush hour that platform is packed shoulder to shoulder, there is no room. Then throw in the fact that many of the subway cars are packed so you can't even get on when the doors open. People rush the doors like a day after Thanksgiving sale. It's pure chaos. Just go on youtube and type in NY city subway fights and you'll see all the fights people get into pushing and shoving their way onto the train. That always scared me when I saw how unstable it was down there waiting for trains. It's crowd psychology at it's worst.

8. You mean instead of trying to help the guy up someone took the time to get out their phone or whatever and film it?

9. Lucrum

Lucrum

"Woman cut in half by subway train"

Obviously the solution is to ban all subway trains.

10. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

I understand when it's crowded, but last year I was taking the red line in Chicago, most of the time there are 20 persons waiting with you to get on an half empty train. Out of 20 There are always 3 or 4 people waiting 1 or 2 feet from the train...And trains are coming really fast in Chicago...

I like what they are doing in Paris. Trains are coming in a plexiglas structure and doors( of both the train and the outside structure ) open when the train has stopped.

#10     Jun 3, 2011