Woman Awarded Home Free And Clear After Mortgage Records Were Lost

Discussion in 'Economics' started by S2007S, Jun 1, 2010.

1. S2007S

S2007S

Just to let you know I think we will be hearing a lot more of these stories in the next few years. If I was in this same situation where my records were lost because my loan was being sold and transferred off numerous times so that these greedy fucks could make tens of thousands of dollars a day I would go as far to see proof of who owned my records.

Woman Awarded Home Free And Clear After Mortgage Records Were Lost

Posted by Evan Bedard on May 7, 2010 · Leave a Comment

It is not uncommon for a borrower’s mortgage to be sold once, twice, or even three times throughout the duration of their loan. Over the last couple of years hundreds of banks have been seized by the FDIC and this has caused a numerous amount of mortgages to be transferred to different lenders. One woman by the name of Corliss Gittens had her home loan transferred several times in the early 2000’s without having any acknowledgment of the action.

Back in late 2000, Corliss purchased her property from her parents and immediately started mailing in her monthly mortgage payments to Homeside Lending. The checks she sent in were never cashed, according to the lawyer that represents Gitten, Fred Brewington. After months of payments, in 2001 she was notified by Homeside that they could not find any records of her mortgage in their archives.

However, according to her lawyer, Gittens had a mortgage and deed and even went to closing when she made the purchase.

After desperately trying to figure out who owns her mortgage she found out that her lender no longer existed, and the parent company of the institution was sold to Washington Mutual in 2002. In 2008, JP Morgan Chase took over Washington Mutual and today services their mortgages. All of these institutions including the FDIC were listed as respondents.
    Her lawyer has reached out to Chase about her mortgage, but they too had no idea what happened, and at this time they had no comment about the situation. Throughout this time she even sought a second mortgage but was turned down because no servicer could verify information on her existing loan.

After years of fighting, this week the Nassau State Supreme Court awarded Corliss Gittens her home free and clear of any liens because nobody opposed the action. The debt been canceled, and after a decade sitting in limbo, she is happy to keep her home.

2. Does she have "good title" to the home or will she have to wait 10 years for that also? :confused: :(

3. Paperwork gets lost, even really important paperwork like a mortgage agreement. I'm sure this happened now and then before housing / credit / financing turned into front page material. It's just that those used to be respectable businesses and no one wanted to be seen as ripping them off, so you didn't call the press after it happened to you. Now, those are despicable businesses and you are a hero if you stick it to the man.