Wolfram Alpha to surpass Google in effectiveness - coming later this Spring

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by wilburbear, Mar 8, 2009.

1. It doesn't seem to understand too much of anything.

#31     May 17, 2009
  2. That's not what it's for.

#32     May 17, 2009
  3. It looks like you have to key in your questions a little better. I asked it "The richest person" - no result. "The wealthiest person" - no result. "The richest man/The wealthiest man" - Warren Buffet: $62 Billion ... also displayed that amount in different currencies. Gives the richest woman too - Liliane Bettencourt: $22.9 Billion. Pretty cool.

#33     May 17, 2009
  4. I played around with the beta earlier today and was pretty impressed. Sure it needs work, but it's pretty cool.

We typed in 'Apples + oranges' and the thing returned a conparitive nutrional breakdown for both.

That may not sound impressive but given the crap question i thought it was a pretty reasonable answer.

Runningbear

#34     May 18, 2009
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

There were very bright and intelligent people working for LTCM too. Oh wait....

By the way most popular websites don't make money, Google does.

P.S.: Typing in LTCM doesn't return any results...

#35     May 18, 2009
  6. jprad

jprad

Success in one field does not guarantee the same result in another; brilliant surgeons who suck at investing, etc.

IMHO, trying to build a successful semantic search engine is built on that exact same sort of arrogance/ignorance.

Just look at the outsourced order taking business that supports the fast food industry. As much as they tried to off-shore it they couldn't because of the difference in semantics based on locality.

Wolfram thinks he's going to be successful using silicon when the order taker folks couldn't make it work using wetware?

Right...

In the end, this will all go about as far as the wild-eyed enthusiasm back in the 80's 5th generation computing and A.I. did.

#36     May 18, 2009