Wolfram Alpha to surpass Google in effectiveness - coming later this Spring

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by wilburbear, Mar 8, 2009.

1. #21     May 17, 2009
  2. this thing sucks

#22     May 17, 2009
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Sucks big time. I typed in "Who is the richest person?", and it didn't understand it. At least Google gives us a bunch of lists.

Not ready for prime time and overhyped.

#23     May 17, 2009
  4. Illum

Illum

Haha, cant escape it:D

This would have been really nice when I was a student. I can see them loving this thing. I didn't see anything for me on it, great idea though. In time it should grow.

#24     May 17, 2009
  5. Hehe - I typed in "what are videogames" and "what are computer games" and it gave the misunderstood result. Can you say beta version?

#25     May 17, 2009
  6. #26     May 17, 2009
  7. toc

toc

from the looks of it this technology can save a lot of time in the web research and thus help the economy in becoming more productive and thus reducing the cost. Good Stuff!

#27     May 17, 2009
  8. I've seen a lot of ignorant posts in this thread.

In a nutshell there are more, and brighter, intelligent people working at Wolfram than at Google. If you don't want to believe that than you have no idea what Wolfram does or what contributions they have made to the field of mathematics.

Stephen Wolfram is a nut, and not as intelligent as he thinks he is, but the people that work for him are.

Semantic search:

-ask it what Michanel Jordan's age is and it will tell you in Year, months and days vs: google returning his birthdate.

-Type in "echostar 1" and instead of telling you it's a satellite for dish network it gives you a map of where it currently is in orbit, along with the long, lat, az, etc.

Wolfram beat google to semantic search. Tough shit google - just focus on selling ads. SW is so nutty that when google comes to buy them he'll tell them to go get bent.

#28     May 17, 2009
  9. Yeah, but Google works. This "thing" doesn't, not yet anyway. To say its a work in progress would be generous. It wasn't able to come up with a single intelligent response to any of the questions I posed (and they weren't complicated). I understand this is a beta version. If not, it should be, more like at alpha at this pont. They've got a lot of work ahead of them if anyone is to take this thing seriously...

#29     May 17, 2009
  10. lol what is the meaning of life :p

Like most of Wolfram's software it appears to revolve around engineering, mathematics, and science. It looks pretty good so far in my opinion. Stop asking it open-ended subjective questions, Google isn't that smart either - it, just spews out what other people know. At least Wolfram doesn't try to take your information for profits and rape you with advertisements.

#30     May 17, 2009