Woah. Facebook insider just said half of FB accounts are fake - and FB knows it.

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by wilburbear, Jun 14, 2013.

1. southall

southall

Perhaps he means 600K active prime users. The rest are all broke or too tight to be worth anything to advertisers.

#11     Jun 14, 2013
  2. um , pert,..by that logic Hasbro, Disney, and Mattel shouldn't exist, either

#12     Jun 14, 2013
  3. maxy22

maxy22

I think more than 50% of facebook accounts are fake..But a huge traffic of facebook is not fake..

#13     Jul 1, 2013
  4. All of my friends are "real", and if there are folks friending fakes, none of this makes any sense.

Having seen what's here, besides atticus talking to the wall and to himself, looks like this is a ploy to demote the status of facebook as the place to be circumspect and let everyone know what you have to say and what you are doing online.

#14     Jul 1, 2013
  5. A goodly portion of the fake accounts are advertising-related. You have to create an account in order to advertise on the system.

Scammers (aka bad affiliate marketers) use robots to create fake accounts and click on their/their partner's ads to generate bogus lead income.

The number of fake accounts will grow because I do not believe FB has a "delete inactive profiles" mechanism in place.

#15     Jul 1, 2013
  6. vbtrade

vbtrade

Maybe not 50% of FB's accounts are fake, but I suspect a good portion are. FB is total BS that one day will probably be long forgotten. It's the cause of so many problems - I just wish people would give it up and live a real life.

#16     Jul 2, 2013
  7. Big deal. I also heard that 50% of the accounts on Elite trader are fake as well....at least fake traders

#17     Jul 2, 2013
  8. Like all tech compnanies, innovation will be the difference and they will need to be at the forefront to hang on to their current market cap (though I think it is too rich). Problem is, over 100 years there will be missteps and it is inevitable that you will be right. Even MSFT isn't as relevant as it was as it missed much of the current technology

#18     Jul 2, 2013
  9. vbtrade

vbtrade

That is true. MSFT used to be the king of tech and now look at them. I think though that Facebook has a huge problem with their business model in that I'm not sure how many people who don't use the site actively now will ever use it actively in the future. That is, sure there are some people who use it faithfully, but a lot I bet don't. I don't see the number of "faithful users" growing substantially.

#19     Jul 3, 2013
  10. I don't really think it matters that half the accounts are fake. FB is still the leading social media website of its kind, although I'm sure Twitter's up there too...

(Remember MySpace? LOL!)

#20     Jul 6, 2013