wm options, when can i get my money?

Discussion in 'Options' started by newguy05, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Manni

Manni

call the exchange...they've been taken over so you should be paid.

#11     Sep 26, 2008
  2. Surdo

Surdo

from the above link!^^^

What Happens To Put Options During Bankruptcy?
    If you own put options on stocks of a company that has just declared or filed for bankruptcy, you are in for a huge reward. The delivery and settlement of every stock option is guaranteed by the OCC, Options Clearing Corporation, in the US Market. Whoever sold you that right to sell shares of that company at that higher price is obliged to fulfill that obligation, so your profit is guaranteed. The only question is, what happens when that company files for bankruptcy and trading in its stocks and options are suspended? When that happens, trading of that company's stocks and options moves to the Over The Counter (OTC) market or what is known as "Pink Sheet" market where you are able to either sell those put options for a profit or exercise the options and sell the stocks for the same profit. Since it is the company that is going illquid and insolvent and not the person or institution who sold you those put options, you are guaranteed your profit and delivery.

#12     Sep 26, 2008
  3. Jachyra

Jachyra

I guess I should have gone with my gut instead of overthinking it... Congratulations to the original poster... nice trade :)

#13     Sep 26, 2008
  4. m22au

m22au

In addition to my short calls position (which I am not worried about), I am long puts.

Does anyone know if / when WM will be trading on the pink sheets?

#14     Sep 26, 2008
  5. for fucks sake compulsive can you read what the original poster wrote?

#15     Sep 26, 2008
  6. Casey30

Casey30

It is trading already as WAHCU, sometimes a broker may take a day or two to list it in their system. IB had a delay when IMB went OTC/pink.

#16     Sep 26, 2008
  7. that's what i wanted to know, when they will be relisted so i can close out my positions to get my cash for the weekend play. But looks like it's at the discretion of the brokerage, there is no set rules for the timeframe i guess.

The question wasnt if they will be worthless or not, that's a given.

thanks

#17     Sep 26, 2008
  8. m22au

m22au

thanks Casey

#18     Sep 26, 2008
  9. m22au

m22au

http://traderupdates.nyse.com/2008/09/washington_mutual_update.html

NYSE Trader Updates

Washington Mutual Update

26 Sep 2008

Important update regarding NYSE trading in Washington Mutual Inc. (WM) and Washington Mutual Preferred K (WM PRK) today, Friday, 26 September 08.
    Consistent with Reg NMS, NYSE will open WM and WM PRK for a single transaction, then immediately place it in an Operational Trading Halt under the NYSE Sub-penny Pricing rule.
    Firms should cancel any orders in WM and WM PRK that are not executed in the Opening transaction. After the close of business today, NYSE will cancel any unexecuted orders in WM and WM PRK.

Beginning Monday, 29 September 08, trading in WM and WM PRK will continue at NYSE Arca and other markets. Orders routed to the NYSE will be routed to NYSE Arca, with NYSE Arca pricing applied.
    WM and WM PRK continue to be listed on the NYSE.

#19     Sep 26, 2008
  10. ok monday, thanks.

#20     Sep 26, 2008