Without the Hurricane, would the market be up?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by areyoukidding?, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Good question. More interesting.

#11     Aug 29, 2005
  2. Good question. I've often wondered about the situation where, say, an event causes the stock market to be down 150 points, and, if the market were neutral to the event, the market would gain back all 150 points. But the London bombing gained all lost ground and kept going as if the even were actually *bullish*.

#12     Aug 29, 2005
  3. Where did you get this stat?

#13     Aug 29, 2005
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

without clouds would it be sunny???

#14     Aug 29, 2005
  5. over the weekend cnn speculation had new orleans being wiped out and up to 50 thousand killed.

#15     Aug 29, 2005
  6. TGregg

TGregg

Yeah, the media was going nuts, said 1 million homeless, New Orleans under 30 feet of toxic, oily and poisonous water for 8 months, dead bodies washing out of graves, coffins floating down the streets, oil to $1,250.00 a barrel, the Earth to spin into the Sun, etc.

It was just like the posts I move from Econ to Chit Chat, for crying out loud.

#16     Aug 29, 2005
  7. newbunch

newbunch

But the market doesn't trade over the weekend. The result is that the US economy and earnings are worse off now than they were at Friday's close, even if it is better than what some idiot on CNN was saying.

#17     Aug 29, 2005
  8. Another good observation. Without Osama would we have the resolve to continue to prosecute the war against him and his friends? Probably not. Now here's the interesting part - what must that make Osama feel like? "It would be better for my cause if I'm dead." A horrible position, and one I'm sure we've intentionally constructed for this wonderful man (sarcasm). It was recently reported that he was injured - and we (the U.S.) quickly came out and said, "No, no he's OK!"

His friends could also take the heat off themselves by killing him, *and* they go directly to Boardwalk without passing Go, and collect 50 million dollars. And all the while he's got the blood of 3,000 perfectly innocent people on his hands. He's in the sorriest situation of any person on earth.

And, because of his intention of instilling fear in others, I hope it only gets worse from here.

#18     Aug 29, 2005
  9. newbunch

newbunch

Why do you guys listen to those idiots? I figured the hurricane would do about $30B in damage, second only to Andrew. The latest estimate I saw was about $20B in damage, though that is likely to change.

#19     Aug 29, 2005
  10. newbunch

newbunch

If this is true, Bush (or whoever give him the advice he follows - Card, Cheney, Rice, etc) is much smarter than I thought.

#20     Aug 29, 2005