Without any doubt MF Global will file for bankruptcy, here is why:

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by crgarcia, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Man, this is gonna be huge !

#11     Mar 17, 2008
  2. The cash says mrq, most recent quarter.

It makes zero sense that MF has cash of $46.66 Billlion, with debt of only $24.34 B
    A cash surplus of $22.32 Billlion? Hard to believe

How could MF get $22.32 in cash?
    From profits? No!
    Selling stock? They don't have that much market cap.
    Taking customer deposits into their own accounts? Likely, remember they play many unregulated markets like forex.

#12     Mar 18, 2008
  3. mokwit

mokwit

I agree the stated figure seems high and that as I highlighted it is a historical snapshot, but I think I am jut going to have to leave you to believe what you want to believe on this.

#13     Mar 18, 2008
  4. It's OK

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but remember this is a Bermuda company.

Therefore only loosely regulated in the US.

#14     Mar 18, 2008
  5. #15     Mar 18, 2008
  6. AAA30

AAA30

Yahoo does not compute these figures right for a broker. Solves your problem?

Best you stay away because you do not know what you are talking about. Just a friendly tip. :)

#16     Mar 18, 2008
  7. I really don't think that being based in Bermuda really has anything to do with whether or not the FED would open the repo window for these guys . . .

The bottom line is that they are the #1 clearing firm on the CBOT and CME, and #2 on the NYMEX.

They are the "oil" that lubricates the wheels for most of the exchanges out there and without a doubt, the oldest commodity company on this planet, started in 1783 by James Mann in London.

#17     Mar 18, 2008
  8. "Thus it is the client's capital that stands in 'first position' against trading losses or gains and the company levers its balance sheet to maintain regulatory capital to collateralize these positions and extend margin," Casteleyn said in a client note.

#18     Mar 18, 2008
  9. Cutten

Cutten

Enterprise value is equity market cap plus debt. Not total assets minus debts. Your definition is completely wrong.

#19     Mar 18, 2008
  10. monee

monee

So it is best to find a futures broker and clearing firm that are based in the US ?

Imagine the 2 biggest.

Refco no more

and Man has the wheat trade loss , and I don't know if that is a problem for them.

The uninsured futures account has always made me nervous, maybe the best thing is just keep enough for day margins and close the position @ 3:14 central and reopen @ 3:31 central if you want to have an overnight.
    It is pretty rare for a huge gap up in those 15 minutes (if you're a mostly long trader)

Thought about trading ETF'S but don't like the lack of 24 hour trading , especially the lack of 24 hour stops.

#20     Mar 18, 2008