Withholding tax on US dvidends (WHT) - Delaware corporates

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tonyf, Mar 14, 2019.

1. tonyf

tonyf

The going WHT rate is 30% for foreign investors (save the ones residing in countries having a treaty with the US.

How is the dividend paid by a Delaware entity treated? Is it subjected to WHT as well?

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I'm not sure what WHT is. I 'm familiar with the term "NRA withholding" for those that file a W8BEN or W8BENE etc. If your Delaware entity files a W9 with a valid IRS EIN and current US address, we do not have any withholding. It is my expectation that the owners of the entity will have to pay a IRS tax in some way. You might be better off filing for a NRA refund.

3. tonyf

tonyf

W8BEN filed. Does the NRA apply to foreign investors?

4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

5. tonyf

tonyf

so Delaware entities are subjected to the same then?

6. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

A Delaware entity with a legal US address and IRS EIN# would file a W-9. If you file the W8BEN because the W-9 does not fit under the instuctions in the W-9, you will be subject to withholding. Please consult the instructions to decide what is correct. I can't decide this for you. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

7. Daal

Daal

A Delaware entity might be exempt from state tax (IIRC) but it will be subject to US federal tax. So do dividends will be taxed, furthermore you will probably have to pay an accountant to do the taxes in addition to the annual costs for the entity, raising the costs further