Wisconsin Recall

Discussion in 'Politics' started by seneca_roman, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Epic

Epic

The Tea Party politicians are in trouble for one main reason. They violated the number one rule of managing expectations. Under promise and over deliver.

They were elected on the premise that they were going to get into office and tear things up with drastic changes. That is an impossibility in our current system. You must have a super majority to push an agenda like that, and in states where that sort of majority exists, the red meat issues have already been handled according to Tea Party principals. Look at the most Red states in the nation like Utah. The Tea Party holds no influence there, because there aren't really any drastic changes that they would make.

States like Wisconsin go back and forth between parties, so the Tea Party can mobilize and get someone nominated. Once in power, that person realizes that 90% of what they promised isn't possible without additional support. So those who oppose the Tea Party mantra are angry about the changes that were made, and those who support the Tea Party are angry that not enough changes were made. Then you end up with a Scott Walker and Nikki Haley with very low approval ratings and being hated by the vast majority of voters.

#11     Jan 23, 2012
  2. No, they're hated for what they did. Roundly so. Got nothing to do at all with not having acheived their objectives.
    The guv there is only the third one to have to submit to a recall, in the history of the country, not of Wisconsin. That isn't because he didn't get what he wanted.

#12     Jan 23, 2012
  3. Epic

Epic

I disagree. They are not hated by their Tea Party supporters for what they did get accomplished. They are hated for what they didn't get.

Their opponents were going to hate them regardless. These situations are only happening in states where the race is close enough that Tea Party voters can tip the scales. The problem is that while the Tea Party can get them elected, it still only just barely tips the scales enough to win. It doesn't come close to giving them majority support by itself.

So they were all walking into a minefield. Ron Paul and his supporters should take note. This is what happens when a relatively small group of revolutionists sways the outcome. Revolutions are not quick and painless.

#13     Jan 23, 2012
  4. Huh? There is only ONE state where the guv is being recalled. The word situation shouldn't be plural.

#14     Jan 23, 2012
  5. So first the jackass liberals refuse to vote and runaway from the state and now they want a fucking recall?

#15     Jan 23, 2012
  6. Not giving the other side a quorom is a very old trick of the trade. I'm sure if I gave myself all of five minutes on Google I could find all kinds of times when the right did the same thing.
    Two, Wisconsin ain't Alabama, as the guv there is now finding out. Apparently his geography lessons didn't sink in real well.

#16     Jan 23, 2012
  7. I don't care what side does it, it's a complete and utter disgrace and a way of giving the American people the middle finger.

Do you agree?

#17     Jan 23, 2012
  8. No. It's a very simple parliamentary procedure. A part of representative government, no more, no less. The side that has it done against it is perfectly entitled to feel outraged and all that, that too is part of the game.
    When Clarence Thomas complained about the process of being nominated to the SC, he was forgetting that the Constitution was written with all those pesky checks and balances in it in order to make the process as messy as possible. Efficient government was pretty far down on the list of priorities for the guys who wrote that, if it was a part of their priority list at all.
    Life in a republic, like life in general, isn't a neat and tidy thing.

#18     Jan 23, 2012
  9. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I guess you won't complain when republicans leave town, refuse to vote or debate and shut down democratic legislation.

I think it is the beginning of the end of democracy.

"..part of the game". Wow. If it were part of the game it would be written into state constitutions.

#19     Jan 23, 2012
  10. Epic

Epic

I'm referring generally to high level officials who were elected on the wave of the Tea Party movement. Many of them are face incredibly low approval numbers.

#20     Jan 23, 2012