Wiring for a trading computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wilburbear, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Merry Christmas to All!

I get my new trading computer in 2 days. My current system has premium wiring (CAT 5 or 6?) running from the dsl "box" to my computer. My concern is with the wire running from the phone jack in the wall to the dsl box. A computer store employee told me that you just have to stay with the spindly little wire provided by the phone company with regard to the wire coming out of the wall. That doesn't seem right. Can the wiring running from the wall to the dsl be the same as the wiring running out of the dsl to the computer? What's the fastest data solution for this wire that comes out of the wall?

Yes, I know this is a basic question. I couldn't get a straight answer elsewhere.

2. I would think that keeping it as short as possible would help.
    As far as thickness, ?

3. Your phone jack is likely an RJ11 interface (narrow little plastic piece with 4 copper contacts on it). Your CAT 5e or 6 has an RJ45 interface (wide plastic piece with 8 copper contacts on it). The wire that comes with your phone company is plenty enough to give you the full bandwidth you can get over that jack. This should not be a concern for you at all.

If you want to get really "anal" about it and run things as directly as possible, you will want to run your DSL directly from the NID outside and bypass your entire house's telephone circuit. I have done this before and it improved speed and connectivity for me when I was in Florida. The nice thing about this is that you can put a filter on your home circuit (one filter) and run a cable from the outside at the interface to your phone company (NID) directly to your DSL modem using CAT 5 cable. This way, you won't have to worry about the quality of the phone wiring in your house (only really a problem if your house is a bit dated).

Follow this link for details of what this involves: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/10322

4. FT71-

Thanks for the answer. You're right, their are 4 copper contacts at the head of the wire coming out of the wall. I probably pull what would be considered an average amount of data out of the wall for a full time trader - 20 or 25 order boxes with various financial instruments, and 4 or 5 boxes with ETF's or futures indicating movement for the equity market as a whole. You know more than me, so, can you tell me how you know that the relatively spindly looking wire can keep up with financial data with just the 4 copper contacts? Do you know what the bandwidth of this wire is likely to be? Thanks again.

5. I don't know what the maximum bandwidth on a regular telelphone line is, but it is not going to be any where than the bandwidth coming from the local curb on the street to your house. Trust me, it is plenty. If your house wiring isn't good enough, then they would have to run something special from the curb to your house. You are likely not pulling in more than 8mbps on your DSL. Your phone line can handle a heck of a lot more than that. Shortening the wire won't help either because, again, you are not using the potential bandwidth available. You should feel comfortable simply using what they gave you. Make sure you install the filters according to their instruction and on anything in your house using the phone circuit INCLUDING your alarm system. That is a much more likely problem than the wire they sent you.

Good luck.

6. The dsl box is using an ADSL modulation scheme back to the exchange. This is completely different to the raw 100b or 1000b? running from your pc to the box.

Just use phone wiring.

7. StopLoss

StopLoss

What speed DSL are you getting? DSL ranges from 128Kbps to 3Mpbs. On average, service will be 1.5Mbps down and prob only 128Kbps up. So that's the max bandwidth the wire between the demarc (NID) and the router. So honestly, unless the wiring is faulty, you will not have problems.

For the wiring between the router and router and the computer: CAT3 comes into play at 10Mpbs only and CAT5 at 100Mbps. For 1Gbps I recommend CAT5-e but even that may be unnecessary.

And remember, no matter what the speed between the computer and the router is, chances are you will be limited by DSL's capacity.

For performance, I would recommend a fiber setup. You will get *much* better performance.

8. FuturesTrader71:

Per your evaluation of Advantage Futures LLC. I would appreciate If you would answer the following questions.

Do you trade in there office or remote?
    Do you have exchange membership?
    Do they have Server rack availability?
    TDo they tire (Server)direcdly in to the exchanges for data access?

Thanks

9. This seems off topic, but answers in CAPS above.

10. It is of the topic... but I could not PM you. I am thinking about leasing or purchasing seats and a relationship with this company.

Thank you for your help

#10     Dec 21, 2007