Wireless Trading PDA, ect.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kendall, Jan 8, 2006.

1. www.oqo.com

Limited to wifi or tethered cell connection.

#11     Apr 26, 2006
  2. I am lucky enough to be able to trade from home. When I need to step away from my desk to watch the kids, I use logmein on my Dell Axim. Logmein is free and allows me to control any of my computers via my wifi. Thus I can seen of my futures platforms as well as my ib with quotetracker, and tradestation. Works great for me.

The Axim has a nice 3.7 inch vga screen. Its big enough to see everything I want, but I wouldn't want to use anything with a smaller screen. Plus hear the pda phones are not very stable, especially when using to access internet and as a phone together. I assume using it as a pda also eats up battery life, and for now I would like to keep my pda and phones separate.

In the future, I will probably have the need to use the pda outside my home. I will then look into accessing through sprint or verizon via my pda using bluetooth. Should be cheaper and better by then.

#12     Apr 26, 2006
  3. wow this thing looks great..do u have one of these babies by any chance, how do u like it? its the price of a 17" laptop, which would you rather have

#13     Apr 26, 2006
  4. A member of my family has it and loves it. I would grab one if it had some sort of embedded cellular like EV-DO. The device is far too small to support a card-bus slot, so it's limited to wifi.

I have a military-spec GoBook laptop with backlit keyboard, transflective touchscreen LCD, embedded CDMA and GPS, etc... and it's great, but it fails the mobility test since I can't put it in my pocket.

#14     Apr 26, 2006
  5. I hear ya, perhaps like me, u want the full functionality of the Gobook and the mobility of an OQO, wouldnt it be nice to have a 17" laptop (for when u need it) that folds into a little OQO, kinda like a convertible car..i guess the closest you can come to that is to get both devices...

#15     Apr 27, 2006
  6. Something vaguely in between the two, I have one of these:

http://www.clubimate.com/t-DETAILS_JASJAR.aspx

Does the job for me.

I use thinkorswim's thinkAnywhere software wich is a java PDA app rather than WAP.

Charting is supposed to be coming soon too which is only really possible with a PDA app.

I personally can't stand WAP applications but tos do do one of those too in a similar vein to IB's MobileTrader.

MoMoney.

#16     Apr 27, 2006
  7. Mo Mo,

TOS do do a nice app for wireless. =) I pray IB codes something like that. The IB WAP page is very quick on virtually any hardware, but it's a PITA to trade.

#17     Apr 27, 2006
  8. Hey, if IB comes up with something comparable - I'm jumping ship. I asked a while ago but it didn't sound promising.

Unfortunately, ToS seem to be putting more effort into their thinkMobile WAP application because that's what most people can use.

Can't wait for the charting on thinkAnywhere though (should be next month) - will be the icing on the cake :)

#18     Apr 28, 2006
  9. the oqo thing... seems pretty handy to carry around airports hotels (planes??) etc though, plus there is the ethernet option, or using a separate EVDO phone...

do u reckon its powerful enough with 512MB RAM?

#19     Apr 29, 2006
  10. Sure. I run 512MB on my Itronix GoBook to max battery performance and it works great, even when running bloomberg pro.

#20     Apr 29, 2006