Wireless trading from Europe

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Midas, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Midas

Midas

I am touring europe for several weeks this summer and want to access my trading account via a wireless network.

Has anyone done this: if so what network do you suggest, what are the pitfalls (I will be covering alot of ground), are there any limitations that I should know about, etc?

2. JA_LDP

JA_LDP

I've never been to Europe, so I can't say first hand but people have told me that connecting to wireless anywhere in Europe is a pain in the ass, especially in Germany. I'm not quite sure why.

I'm curious to see if anyone currently in Europe will chime in and confirm or deny this.

3. they can't right now, their wireless if off...

4. bespoke

bespoke

I'm planning to do the same.

Anyone have an idea of the rates for 3G service from prepaid phone plans. If I used a UK sim card, could I get the same 3G rate in another country? Buying a new sim card in every country would be a pain in the ass. I'd like to be able to trade from anywhere without worrying about a wifi connection of internet cafe.

When I was in asia it was only 50 cents per hour in some countries. Not based on kb downloaded but on time.

5. nikke

nikke

3g data is usually flatrate but only inside one country.

6. When did they told you that? Maybe in the mid-90s of last century...

With all respect, 3G-coverage in Germany is excellent, as is in most other parts of Europe. For a long time, Europe had more 3G-users (percentage-wise) than USA. It took until last year for the USA to surpass Europe: http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/04/us-surpasses-european-3g-subscribers-by-0-1/

What's a pain in the ass is neither technology nor coverage, but costs. Inexpensive subscription flat rates are usually bound to one country, which is a problem when travelling. I can't speak about prepaid cards, because I don't use them.

7. JA_LDP

JA_LDP

about 2 weeks ago my co-worker came back from visiting family or something and said his brand new macbook could not connect anywhere from coffee shops to his uncles wireless router. he said he called apple while he was over there and they were on the phone close to an hour with no luck. it saw the networks just couldn't connect. as soon as he came back in the US, it worked great. so who knows. wouldn't be surprised if it was simply user error.