wireless router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by battle river, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Tums

Tums

I use HSDPA. It is faster than my DSL.

#11     Jul 19, 2006
  2. GTS

GTS

The bottom line for me is that a wireless router setup has all the points of failure of a wired router setup and adds its own unique set of potential problems on top of that, e.g. more things that can go wrong.

When using wifi, if suddenly your broker connection drops, the troubleshooting is more complicated then the same setup in a wired configuration.

Whether or not that is a problem for any inidividual depends on their trading style (speed), what alternate/backup plans they have made and their technical expertise to pinpoint and resolve the problem quickly.

#12     Jul 19, 2006
  3. Yeah that should I believe, although I don't use wireless so, but I believe the new standard for security is WPA2, someone want to chime in on this one.

#13     Jul 19, 2006
  4. has anyone experienced problems with the Linksys router....2.4 GHz.............model #WRK54G...............like some have stated here that one day it works fine & the next it will cut out during the trading day & not work for days.....then be fine??
    the solution i have involves a baseball bat..........i don`t think i went the cheap route........$100 for router with card??

#14     Jul 19, 2006
  5. glassinc,

greetings! I waited a bit to respond as I wanted to read about how many novice traders/investors supported wireless...I just shake my head...

I have a wireless card in my home network. I lose seconds...not nano seconds in order entry.

Thus... I use my wireless notebook setup for the sofa times...I can lay flat on my back and glance at the UPL (its hard to drink root beer though)..when it gets close..I jump up and put the parked order in, from the isolated wired puter'

I have two broadband services...Cable and DSL. I have tried to troubleshoot the slowness and the techs from Linksys...Motorola...Qwest...Comcast, HP, RadioShack Warranty and CompUsa...all confirm that wireless is slower.

I treat trading as a business and only use reliable and efficient equipment and consider myself rather serious with my fully redundant trading room equipment (four computers, two of them notebooks, and five screens, back up Yamaha gasoline powered generator and removeable backup)

Michael B.

P.S. I will not even discuss the security issues...I will leave that to others.

#15     Jul 19, 2006
  6. If you use 2.4ghz wireless you can't use a cordless phone or you have to put a filter on your broadband connection. It can cause interference. My mom couldn't get here DSL to work, without wireless, and had to put a DSL filter on the line because they tech support said it was due to a 2.4ghz cordless phone. Go figure. Technology is going to revolutionize the world right?

#16     Jul 19, 2006
  7. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

The first thing you should do with Linksys routers such as the G series is to be sure that your firmware is updated to the latest version. Updating will normally correct many performance issues.

The other thing to look for is interference from wireless phones that operate in the same 2.4G frequency range. Be sure your phone does not impact your wireless router.

- Greg

#17     Jul 19, 2006
  8. thanks for the feedback guys............i`ll look into both potential problems.

steve

#18     Jul 19, 2006
  9. GTS

GTS

Just to clarify what dandxg said, don't use a cordless phone that uses 2.4ghz if you use wireless networking that also uses that frequency; Several manufacturers make cordless phones in the 5.8ghz range which avoids wifi interference, they are also quite nice phones (I have the AT&T multi-handset model myself)

#19     Jul 19, 2006
  10. my wireless is 5.8 ghz...............so that eliminates one problem.

#20     Jul 19, 2006