Wireless router blows up after blackout?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RAMOUTAR, Aug 15, 2003.

1. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

I have a Netgear MR314 wireless router. Never had a problem with it, until today of course. Power was just restored to my area (NYC), and I restarted and cycled the entire network. I did a hard reset of the router, and reset and restarted all the PCs. The hardwired PC s are fine, but I have three laptops that can't get wireless.

Netgear tech support says that the surge before the blackout may have blown up the wireless components in the router, despite the fact that I had a surge protector and APC UPS. They basically said to me "too bad, get a new router".

Anybody have any clues on what I can do, before buying a new one?

2. prophet

prophet

If the router fails and other equipment doesn’t it suggests the router is a lemon or the router’s power supply is marginally or poorly designed.

Keep calling them. Find someone at the company who cares that they sold you a lemon or poorly designed product, and is willing to replace the unit. Ask to talk to a supervisor. Tell them how angry you are at their “too bad” attitude.

3. opm8

opm8

You didn't specify how functional the router is at this point but see if you can re-install the firmware.

--opm8

4. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

I hemmed and hawed to no avail. I'll try a few more things. Tough part is all tech support calls are routed to India, so its very difficulto get the point across. Thanks prophet.

5. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

I uninstalled firmware for router and PCMCIA cards, reinstalled and still no results.

The router is still functional for with the hardwired PCs. I can still function with it, but I won't be able to relax by the pool as I trade :(

If I can't get it to work, I'll buy a new one. Amazingly enough, I paid $200+ for the MR314, and the MR814 is $65 less another $20 with mail in rebate. I just don't want to go through the headache of installing and configuring another router. Fortunately, I had two laptops up on batteries, so surge didn't get them. It could have been worse.