Wireless Networks... How Big a Security Risk?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gnome, Jul 16, 2007.

#31     Jul 17, 2007
  2. gnome

gnome

I haven't run across such a claim. Why would PSK be SO vulnerable other than a number of users having the same pass key?

#32     Jul 17, 2007
  3. gnome

gnome

Can't get DSL where I live. Phone lines are too old. Comcast cable is my only choice (wife says she NEEDS broadband... for downloading copious emails from her mother, you know.)

#33     Jul 17, 2007
  4. #34     Jul 17, 2007
  5. XP is by default configured wrongly:

From www.grc.com on wireless network security: travellers on planes getting infected because they turn their laptop on and do not have the wireless network properly configured.

Go to "connect to" on start menu, select "wireless network connection", then "change advanced settings" => "wireless networks" tab => "advanced" and change the default "Any Available network (access point preferred)" to "Access point (infrastructure) networks only". Then afterwards for each of your network you have to obtain radio silence by going back to the "wireless networks" tab, selecting the network, then "properties" and unchecking the "Connect even if this network is not broadcasting" option.

Make sure you have installed last year October's XP update for wireless networks too! (M$N kept pretty silent on that one). (KB893357 & KB917021)

Maria

#35     Jul 18, 2007