Wireless LCD screen solution ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jrkob, May 25, 2005.

1. jrkob

jrkob

Hello,

My graphic card is an nVidia FX5900. I connect 2 screens to it: one standard tube screen, and one LCD.

I would like to be able to leave my computer on my desk, but move one of the screens (the LCD) in the living room for instance.

I would like to avoid having a long cable running in my appartment... and am looking for some kind of wireless solution.

Does that exist ? Any recommendation ? May be some kind of Infra-Red receiver ?...

I would like to avoid replacing my screen with a true wireless screen as I suspect a wireless screen would be really expensive.

Thank you,

2. cmk

cmk

I have really never even heard of a wireless VGA transmiter and reciever.

My guess is that it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to go with a long VGA table, have an electrician put it through the walls or pull up the carpet and stick it under there.

I have one in my bathroom that I do that with.

3. I don't think it's really possible. That is a fucking *shitload* of bandwidth to be transmitting through the air.. several gigabits/sec for a typical hires 72hz refresh rate. And we are barely able to get 54mbps wirelessly right now..

My suggestion would be to use some sort of thin client, or stripped down laptop or terminal of some sort and use VNC or the Remote Desktop built into windows XP.

4. Yeah... it's called a laptop.

Stephen's right. A true wireless LCD is simply not possible with current technology. The Viewsonic product is a thin client.

Martin

5. jrkob

jrkob

Alright, thanks for that guys, appreciated.

I will go with the cable then !

Cheers,

6. You may be able to transmit a video image of your screem using a 2.4ghz transmitter.

With the transmitter it works like a short range tv signal. I think you could do it with a bit of stuffing around.

I know you can get wireless projectors now, why not get one of them and broadcast onto your loungeroom wall

Runningbear:D

7. I have used this before with a CAT 5 cable and it worked beautifully. It is more for sending an image from one VGA display to multiple displays, but it works with a crystal clear image. The CAT 5 cable can be easily hidden and is a lot less costly than a VGA cable.

Good luck.

8. jrkob

jrkob

Thanks a lot for your suggestions guys, I'm definitely going to investigate your ideas.
    I have thought of the projector, but my appartment is very bright and the image may look too dim during daytime I'm afraid. I could be wrong though, I am not a video expert...