Wireless Internet Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toonces, Jul 25, 2003.

1. deet

deet

I use Verizon Wireless Internet. It cost $79.99 per month for unlimited access. You have to buy a Sierra AirCard for about $300. I can access my data feed all day long as I drive around town, although, sometimes I get connection problems with my platform, so I always put in bracket orders.

#11     Aug 6, 2003
  2. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

I think you can in NYC if you go to Bryant Park

#12     Aug 6, 2003
  3. I don't use it that way, yet. IMHO, it's not been used by me personally long enough to endorse it as reliable for trading purposes yet. Occasionally, the connection drops out while waiting for responses. Earthlink says they are working on the issue though and I do see marked improvements in just the few months that I've used it. :)

#13     Aug 7, 2003
  4. jem

jem

could one trade with the verizon deal?
    I am about to close on my house buy and RV and travel for two - three months. I have also revently got a system that works on the many and would not mind using IB and a data feed in my RV. Think it is possible?

thanks
    John

#14     Aug 7, 2003
  5. Thanks Canyon,

I'm going to visit a Sprint PCS dealer and ask them about how things work. It does seem to me that a cell phone is able to carry enough digital data for a voice conversation, so it should also be able to do the internet with the right connectivity.

If one were to set this up at home with a booster antenna for improved reception and reliability, it seems that it should work in areas where DSL is not available.

Cheer,

kp

#15     Aug 7, 2003
  6. bro59

bro59

T-Mobile had aggressively priced their wireless cell data service at $30/month, unlimited mb. Of all the major vendors I think they have the most minimal coverage so they probably have to do this to compete, but it could be a good backup.

#16     Aug 12, 2003
  7. I've used a wireless card and it is working beautifully. I 've surfed all over NYC, and you can find quite a few FREE hotspots.

Right now I'm on my laptop by the window sill using a "nice" neighbors broadband, which is BTW much faster than 56k. I've gotten as fast as 500k in my estimation. Without an external antenna to boost the signal, I would not rely on it too much.
    That is my next project, adding an external antenna to my card.

Check out some info is available on this.

http://c0rtex.com/~will/antenna/
    http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

I have too many links to post.

#17     Aug 13, 2003
  8. abishiai and lsudaytrade, I looked that the SprintPCS Contract.

For $100, you get 300MB per month. That may sound like a lot, but if you have streaming quotes going. you can go through 7Meg per HOUR very easily (thats assuming just 2K/sec for the streaming and nothing else). At that rate, you will rack up about a gigabyte of usage for the month assuming daily usage of 6.5 hours, costing you an extra $1,400 on top of that $100 base fee. Does not seem practical

#18     Aug 14, 2003
  9. Hey, thanks for checking this out! I HATE data limits on broadband! It's like the old 55 mph speed limit!

In the meantime, I found a local wireless company and they are setting me up. I should be online tomorrow with wireless DSL. They are using a D-Link or Linksys wireless internet bridge that operates on the un-licensed portion of the 2.4 Ghz band. Pretty cool (if it works). I'll post an update in a few days as to how good it is.

Anyone interested in this kind of thing should do a Google search for 'wireless internet' and include your city/town in the search. These are small companies that are trying to service rural areas that are too far out for cable or DSL. It's terrestrial, so doesn't have the latency of satellite. Basically, you need line-of-site to their node or repeater.

I am confident this technology will work. We use similar equipment on the 5.7 Ghz band to send broadcast quality TV more than three miles 24hours a day for the past two years.

Cheer,

kp

#19     Aug 14, 2003
  10. bro59

bro59

T-Mobile contract specifically points out that their service is not to be used with "data feeds." They clearly are trying to juice subscribership with the new pricing plan, but don't want any power users. Doubt they could police this beyond just cutting you off if your data goes above a certain threshold for a period of time.

#20     Aug 17, 2003