Wireless internet laptop - are these available?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lar, May 5, 2005.

1. So the unlimited verizon service does not give you voice service too? You have to add that extra? Still a pretty attractive option if you live in one of the broadband areas.

#11     May 6, 2005
  2. lar

lar

Thank you all for your suggestions... seems this may be easier than I initially thought.

Peace and gtty,

Lar

#12     May 7, 2005
  3. AAA,-voice and data are available together and the prices are the same.However the introduction of ther voice option apparently eliminates the broadband speed option.In my own case,its worth the $80 bucks just for the unlimited freedom from the desk or office, and i'd prefer to research rather than gabb on the phone.There are other plans ,but for trading purposes,the unlimited,national access with broadband speedworks best for me.

#13     May 9, 2005
  4. I've had the verizon plan for several months now and am quite pleased. I actually trade over it just to get around and stay off the corporate firewall & WAN since I have a dayjob. I have multiple apps connected and service barely flinches which is surprising since presumably I would be sharing the bandwidth with a market sufficient number of subscribers. Granted I'm in NYC which has broadband bandwidth service. In any event, I still don't notice any major differences when I'm in upstate NY or in LI which only has National Access (ie. significantly sub-broadband bandwidth service). Pretty much, when I have verizon cell service, I have National Access service at the least. Most airports from what I could detect have free broadband internet access, well at least the dozen or so I shuttle between. I was quite surprised to find out that I still could establish access even when I commute via train from LI to NYC. Haven't tried the Acela NY/Boston/DC run which I presume would be the limiting test scenario.

Overall, very pleased...

#14     May 9, 2005
  5. ktm

ktm

I've had Verizon Broadband/National Access in the DC area for over a year now. Mine is $80 per month unlimited and I have tested at speeds of up to 3.4 MBPS in the city. There are a few ongoing DNS issues and some web pages won't load, aside from that it has been outstanding. National Access, which is the low speed version (you fall into it automatically when you are driving and leave the high speed area) still runs at around 70K from my testing - faster than dialup. You get service practically everywhere Verizon has cell phone service.

If you need to be connected all the time, this is definitely the way to go.

#15     May 9, 2005