Wireless Extenders vs. Wall Plug Extenders

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by uptickk, Sep 19, 2011.

1. uptickk

uptickk

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with wireless router extenders and also wall plug extenders (use the wiring to transfer data to other areas of the home). My wireless router is at one end of my home and my bedroom and office are at the other. It would be ideal to run an Ethernet cable to the office but it is not very practical at this time. The only other two options I have found are a wireless extender or the wall plug extender kit but I am worried about how much slower the transfer rates will be (or if it will even be noticeable).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. i used to run cisco router + cisco access point combo. the setup worked for my needs (e.g. streaming movies). as i recall, there was some drop in speed.

one problem i had was during setting it up. the extender would not talk to the router at first but somehow it got resolved.

that's the one I used WAP54G

3. The wireless G router is not the latest. I think if you buy a wireless router, you should buy a wirelss N router or a dual band router (dual band = N + G).

4. Mr_You

Mr_You

5. uptickk

uptickk

Thanks for all the info. I have an older router (not even the G type) so I think I am going to try to upgrade to a wireless N router or dual band router and see if that works. If not I will try to explore the extender route.

6. is there a reason you can't move the router?

7. uptickk

uptickk

The ethernet entry point is less than 5 feet from one end of my place and unless I want an ethernet cord running half the length of my place I can't think of to many other options (office is at the other end; my building is long and narrow). Note that I am probably moving in approx. 3 months so its not worth running the cord through the wall.

8. Pekelo

Pekelo

For that 60 trading days, I would just run a long cable through the whole house, even if you have to roll it out every morning. Nothing beats cable....

You can put it up temporary above the doorheads, so it wouldn't be in the way....

9. GTS

GTS

I agree with Pekelo that for trading you should be going with a hardwired connection, the last thing you want is some random interference to affect your trading.

That being said, if you do decide to upgrade the wireless please keep in mind that upgrading the router won't help unless the PC you are using also supports the faster speeds (e.g. 802.11N). A wireless G client won't benefit from going with a wireless N router.

Not all devices support N equally as well, there are 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands but a wireless router can support just 2.4Ghz and still call itself N compatible (very misleading IMHO)...if you want maximum speed make sure both the router and the client support 802.11n in the 5 Ghz band, most do not.

I don't have any recent experience with powerline networking but I'd recommend you check out http://www.smallnetbuilder.com for both HomePlug and wireless router reviews - they are a good source of info.

10. uptickk

uptickk

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I might go Pekelo's suggested route by just running a wire through my place. I actually have a full time job now but am finally taking the plunge to start trading full time in November so assuming I actually do move, it should only be for a month and a half.

Regarding the wireless routers, I know my trading laptop supports 802.11N but I still need to confirm that my wife's laptop does as well. I am not sure if the 5 Ghz band will help since a lot of the reviews I have read say that the dual band is only helpful if the computers are in the same room as the 5 Ghz doesn't travel well through the wall.

GTS, I will check out the website you recommended.

Thanks again everyone.

#10     Sep 21, 2011