Wireless connection vs. Wired for Emini trading

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by syswizard, Apr 8, 2019.

1. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Same reason why charting software list minimum requirements to use their software because too many idiots out there will try to use charting vendor software with an inadequate computer.

Thus, its part of the trade execution platform minimum requirements.

Regardless, if your speed is too slow or you have latency issues on your WiFi connection...that's your fault and not the broker especially when they list the minimum requirements for you to have for proper equipment to use a particular trade executionn platform (software) connected to their servers.

You'll be surprise by how many people are still using 802.11b when its recommended that they should be using 802.11g or 802.11n or 802.11ac (today's standard) depending upon the trade execution platform(s) at the broker.

Heck, even my cable company list the minimum requirements for computer WiFi to use their service via WiFi whenever I do not want to use the wired connection.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    #11     Apr 9, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  2. If your wireless connection is reliable, you're probably good.

In my home network, the wired connect at ~120 Mbs while the wireless ~ 50-60 Mbs. One of my trading apps is on wireless and it's OK.

Years back, I traded the ES on 64K modem with no problem... then again, that machine was wired (through a phone cable)! :)

#12     Apr 9, 2019
  3. jharmon

jharmon

The transmission medium is not the issue - the latency, reliabilty and bandwidth available is.

You state standards as if you know what you're talking about. You don't.

I've been running short and long distance Microwave links since the mid 90s before wifi was even a standard.

Of course I recommend people use the latest modulation techniques where possible, but to put out a blanket minimum spec of 802.11g (or any other wifi standard) is garbage. The real issue is bandwidth, latency and reliability (packet loss) or, if you prefer, Bit Error Rate. The actual transmission medium (radio waves, electrical signals, fiber optic) does matter but at varying degrees. If you need 3Mbps transmission, and you're using 802.11b with a close-by WiFi access point with no other interference (other houses nearby) you'd be fine. If you're in an apartment building where everybody has their own Wifi and your background noise level is through the roof - then forget it.

Specifying a minimum standard to use on WiFi is just bad science.

#13     Apr 9, 2019
  4. This is impressive and it is starting to tell me my problem is with my laptop's wireless adapter. I am going to start changing some of the properties.

#14     Apr 9, 2019
  5. Home-based: This is WiFi thru a Comcast approved router. I wonder if there are any router settings related to WiFi that need to be changed ?

#15     Apr 9, 2019
  6. schweiz

schweiz

I always use cable when I can, only wifi if cable is not possible. Main reason is security, not speed. Wifi can be intercepted, cable is far more difficult to intercept.
    My datafeed needs no MB's but Kb's. My total need for trading is probably below 1Mb/s.

#16     Apr 9, 2019
  7. I am absolutely no expert....just looking for answers. My wireless adapter says 802.11ac in the Device Manager properties. How can I test my connection ?

#17     Apr 9, 2019
  8. So.. what you probably have is a Comcast "gateway"? That's what I have, connection speed described above. Comcast has mostly been quite reliable over the years.

#18     Apr 9, 2019
  9. You can test it for speed through "speedtest.net"

#19     Apr 9, 2019
    wrbtrader likes this.
  10. #20     Apr 9, 2019
    MattZ likes this.