Wireless Broadband ISP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dve250, Dec 19, 2008.

1. I use Sprint with their new usb card which contains all the software. Fast connects, and it holds on with weak signals.

#11     Dec 20, 2008
  2. ehorn

ehorn

Agreed. I am fortunate to have very good 3G coverage in the areas which I find myself and can recommend AT&T.

#12     Dec 20, 2008
  3. rcj

rcj

I use IB from Houston area.
    I would be interested to see any latency data
    you may have especially re IB.
    Using PingPlotter r/t of about 70 ms using DSL here.
    rj

#13     Dec 20, 2008
  4. Quick follow up - went to the local sprint retail store to pick up a new car charger for my mogul. Met the guy who handles my account. He asked if I saw the new Touch Pro and Touch Diamond. He said they are the latest, greatest. Well, they are - makes my mogul a T-rex. He them offered me an upgrade to the Touch Pro for only $18.95 upgrade fee + $2.10 tax. I've only had the mogul for 8 months so I wasn't even eligible for an upgrade. Of course I said yes. Then he says he didn't have the Pro in stock only the Diamond and told me to take the Diamond with me and he'd call me when the Pro was in stock and do a swap. I also get to keep the mogul. Didn't make me extend my contact either. Sweet deal.

#14     Dec 22, 2008
  5. dve250

dve250

This makes for a tough choice, all three services are rated high. I plan to get two of the three so I will go with Sprint as one of them but still not sure between Verizon or ATT.

#15     Dec 22, 2008
  6. But what about trading especially for daytrading
    Is some one is looking to day trade from his house or backward is the sprint wirless network reliable
    I asked they said i will get the card for free USB since i am a sprint wireless user but i have to pay $6o a month for usage

#16     Dec 22, 2008
  7. Given a choice I'd go with Verizon and deal with tha occassional timeout. ATT is fast but the coverage isn't that good. That said, If the coverage is good in your area it really doesn't matter. I travel a lot and trade on the road from my motorhome so coverage is crucial for me. You can also test drive. Find a retail store, not a reseller, and use their demos to run speed tests and ping tests and see whats best for you.

#17     Dec 23, 2008
  8. I find Sprint very stable. There are times I leave my connection running for days with no problems, only stopping to restart. I day trade with it as well and the latency is fine for me. Maybe if you are trying to scalp for pennies it might lag a bit but I rarely get slipped due to lag.

If you are already a Sprint customer why not upgrade to a phone with evdo. Then you only pay $10 - $15 per month for unlimited access. Don't get a tethering or phone as modem plan. Any phone that uses Activesync can be tethered to a laptop or desktop for free. They'll never tell you this but it's 100% true. I use the Mogul and the Touch series which also has built in 802 wireless so I can connect to wireless even if I can't find an evdo connection for no charge.

#18     Dec 23, 2008
  9. Well i have black berry pearl but i have no data plan
    I need to pay them like $40 more for the data and MODEM plan
    I was wondering is it reliable while trading stock ( not scalping )
    It not like it is a 56 modom
    I am not an IT person so i really dont have much Idea about it
    They are willing to let me try for 1 month free wireless card USB
    I think i should do that....

#19     Dec 23, 2008
  10. The salesmans job is to sell. If it's cheaper just get an unlimited plan for the Pearl get it and you can tether it via a cable to any computer for free. Best of both worlds.

#20     Dec 23, 2008