Wired or wireless router?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Moneyball, Nov 7, 2005.

1. bighog

bighog Guest

Here is a problem i want to solve, the only solution seems to be a WIRELESS setup or just extended screen wires etc, mouse and for the charts pc an extended and extended keyboard.

The problem: Desktops sit right near, under, etc your desk. They make noise, fans hard drives, scsi etc. I run 3 desktops when the mkt is open, the noise adds up, no real problem but i was thinking of having the pc's in another room AWAY from the trading spot.

I use wires, lots of wires...:D Wires are no problem, i can handle that.

I have heard about this wireless "gen3 MIMO CHIP" from airgo, looks like it is in the new routers etc, modems. Claims to be fast but not up to giga ethernet.

This would not solve my problem since the wires to the mouse and keyboard would be so long it would probably be real slow. So it seems to come down to a tradeoff of either slower inputs or put up with the noise. i mean how much slower can it be? Am i being silly in thinking slower /....:confused:

#11     Nov 13, 2005
  2. one cheap solution would be to put all but one computer in the other room then use RealVNC (or UltraVNC) to just remote control their screens. Would be best if the main PC had 2 or more monitors.

On a local connection, it should be very quick.

#12     Nov 13, 2005
  3. To be honest I dont understand, you mention two solutions to the problem of PC noise at your desk: one that makes sense to me (physically separating yourself from the PC with long KVM runs) and then a second that doesnt make sense (wireless router) - I dont see how going wireless helps your noise problem at all since that doesnt change the distance from you to the PC, all it does is eliminate a single cat5 cable running to your PC (and apparently you dont care about having lots of cables)

In any case if you want quiet PC's they do sell them without any fans whatsoever. There are also companies that specialize in very quiet PC's with fans. Although they do tend to cost more now that home theatre PC's are becoming more popular (and have the same low noise requirements) its not too bad.

Perhaps these links will help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20051012/index.html

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-45,GGLD:en&q=quiet+PC

You probably arent interested in replacing your computers though so really the ideal solution for you is to put the existing computers in the other room and use a KVM extender so the keyboard video mouse are in your room and the computers are in the other. Something like this: http://www.kvms.com/kvm-over-cat5.asp

#13     Nov 13, 2005
  4. bighog

bighog Guest

WINTER

Thanks. Yes, i was thinking wrong about wireless and distance, you are correct, the pc's would still be real close.

What i was thinking about the kvm switches and longer wires from another room was: How much speed would i lose with longer cables? I have always been told to keep all cables as short as possible, made sense to me.

So, the solution seems to be either the long cables or "QUIET" pc.

When i built the last machine i bought really good fans etc. Now as you state, some new stuff have come on the mkt, but not cheap.....Some even have fanless boxes, others have ways to chill the cpu, chill the other onboard chip (northbridge, or whatever is called).

The answer is to spend more money...:D Thanks Again

Ever look at "VAPOR CHILL"? But that is mostly for overclocking, which i have done for fun. But overclocking can make funny things happen if not careful.

#14     Nov 13, 2005
  5. Sounds like we are on the same page now.

Re: longer cables, you will not lose any speed with longer KVM cables, any differences would be too slight to be significant, we are basically talking about the speed of electrical signals here, over short (tens or hundreds of feet) it isnt an issue.

There are limits for these cables, by using higher quality and shielded cables you can extend the limits but if want to go even further you have to go with a more expensive solution like baluns where the signals are converted on one end, transmitted on a long wire (cat5 for instance) and then converted again on the other end. With this type of system normal distance limitations of vga, keyboard and mouse cables arent an issue.

#15     Nov 13, 2005
  6. bighog

bighog Guest

Good deal. That sounds like the solution for the noise. i will work on this.

Thanks again...:)

#16     Nov 13, 2005
  7. r-in

r-in

I just bought a new router, a Linksys wireless, but only use the hard wire ports on the back. It was on sale $30 cheaper than the same model I replaced, and I figured I could turn off the wireless for protection. I called support because I couldn't figure how to turn off the wireless and the guy I spoke with said you can't turn off the wireless function, but it is secure as long as you went through the procedure for securing. Was this guy wrong? I would prefer to turn off the wireless for my own paranoid peace of mind.

#17     Nov 14, 2005
  8. I've used DLink for years without problems. Avoid anything made by Hawking. Before buying anything read the reviews on newegg. There's always one bad one, so beware, but if there are mostly bad reviews that's a sign that router is a POS....

SSB

#18     Nov 14, 2005
  9. Tech support is usually clueless but not this clueless about so basic a question, so perhaps you can't disable the wireless portion on this model (it would help if you posted the model number).

I'm pretty sure you could "configure" it to render the wireless portion unusuble though (for instance if it supports locking down wireless clients by MAC address specify a single bogus MAC address as the only client allowed to connect). Also if the antenna(s) are removable then I'm sure removing them would go a long way to making it not wireless.

#19     Nov 14, 2005
  10. R-In,

I know I saw an option to disable wireless on a Linksys router before, but I am sure that it would depend on the specific model. Would be surprised (and quite disappointed) if you could not turn that off.

Since right now you do not have another option, just secure the Wireless, AND just unscrew the antenna. Sometimes the lowtech approach is simplest :)

#20     Nov 14, 2005