Wired connection or Wi-Fi?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Syzlex, Apr 20, 2020.

Wired connection or Wifi?

Poll closed Nov 16, 2020.
  1. Wired (Ethernet)

90.0%
  2. Wi-Fi

10.0%
  1. Syzlex

Syzlex

Just curious what the vast majority of people use.

I normally use a wired connection but forgot to hook it up and didn't realize I was on Wi-Fi until after my trading session. :D

2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I use both.

They're designed these days so that you can log in via both or you can "disconnect" from one so that the other is the only one you're using.

Obviously if I want to sit on my patio and trade...I would have to use the WiFi.

Yet, away from home and trading...portable (mobile/pocket) WiFi...slower but sufficient for basic needs. Rarely used for trading purposes.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    kmiklas likes this.
  3. jharmon

jharmon

If you use decent WiFi gear and you're not after milliseconds of difference you should have no issue.

However, if you're in a high density area go wired every time.

If you have a large home and brick walls, install multiple WIRED access points. I use Ubiquiti Unifi gear and have 4xAPs.

If you don't understand overlapping frequencies get an IT/Comms/Network guy who knows his shit to do it.

Syzlex likes this.
  4. padutrader

padutrader

whatever you use it should be fast

5. kmiklas

kmiklas

Both. I use wired for my main trading rig, and a laptop for smaller stuff.

I have a decent router that runs fast and is reliable.

Comcast cable connection, which goes out every once in a while... that pisses me off. I had to close a trade on my phone via cell tower connection once.

6. Turveyd

Turveyd

Wired and then use Tablet over 4G because my Wifi is so on and off it's a pain in the ass.

7. easymon1

easymon1

Wired